We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short changing

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Short changing

I know this is commonplace but it's so annoying. Yesterday I bought an ice cream and should have received 2 euros change. The receipt (needed to show to get the ice cream) was put on top of the change. I quickly tipped the change into my purse to go and take the receipt to get the ice cream. I realised immediately that the coin I tipped into my purse was not a 2euro coin. I think probably a 20 cent instead. Too late!

As it was I then decided not to stay and do some shopping and have lunch in Rome and went directly to the airport. Rome traders received no more money from me that day and I left Rome annoyed both with the shop and myself for failing for it. I visit Italy about 6 times a year so should know better.

The cafe? Bar Gusto Napoli, via Daniele Manin 5A/7. It's across the road for Termini.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short changing

Do you know that, sometimes, we are tired and or distracted and mistakes happen? I have a shop and even if I try to pay always attention, sometimes I gave wrong change. Not too bad because my customers know that it can happen and they point out that I was wrong, I apologise and smile.

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short changing

Next time I'll visit London and I'll get a wrong change about 1, 80 euro, I'll start a revolution against all traders if London.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short changing

>>Do you know that, sometimes, we are tired and or distracted and mistakes happen?<<

Lord yes. I accidentally short-changed a hotel guest $20 once. And he was a regular, too. I sent an email to accounting and they sent him a check without, apparently, a word of explanation. I happened to have the misfortune of checking him out on his next stay and it was very mortifying having to explain in response to his "do you know why you sent me a check for $20?" question that it was because I'd goofed up the last time he'd checked out.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,405 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short changing

If you didn't look at the change how do you know you were short changed? It's just a guess, right? Perhaps you were wrong and they gave you the correct change. In any event, why punish other shop owners because of one, possible mistake? Seems a little unreasonable to me.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short changing

The other day a gelateria in my town gave me €1 too much in change. I pointed out her error and she was grateful. Unfortunately, that hasn't caused an increased influx of tourists to my town. It seems as though too little change drives them away, but too much change doesn't have the opposite effect.

florida
Level Contributor
315 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short changing

We have a shave ice business across from the beach in sunny Florida. Please Dear God, do not let every customer I have short changed/over changed decide they will never, ever shop or visit our lovely area.

I've been to Rome once, and to be able to spend time in such an amazing city;TAKE ALL MY 2 EURO COINS! lol

OK, fine, maybe not all but a few one way or another;no worries!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Short changing

Sorry, but this is amazing - an entire post about this? Does no one ever, where you live, make a goof? You have never made an error? And, where is such a place? Certainly, in London there have been a few snafus….

Unreal.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short changing

To be fair, I'm sure there are some merchants who deliberately short change, or who make "errors" in adding up the tab. However, the vast majority of merchants in Rome are honest, and it does seem unfair to punish them for the misdeeds of others. I have had merchants, more than one, in Rome tell me I gave them too much money when I thought I was giving exact change.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Short changing

I know that is possible, that someone may deliberately do so but based on this situation, frankly, even if that was the case - it is not fair to imply all Roman "merchants" are prone to such behavior.

I just personally bristle at these sort of over-blown generalizations - I find them pretty meaningless as it is just so hyperbolic - in my opinion, of course.

Cape Town, South...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short changing

I am very disappointed in Rome, got ripped off 3 times once by Italian taxi from airport with no Meyer, then by annoying Indian street sales man, very bad for a city that relies on foreign travellers.