We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
61 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

Our estimate for reaching Termini station was a bit incorrect and we found ourselves rushing in with less than 20 minutes before departure.As we were pulling our suitcases looking for the correct platform, a young Italian girl offered to help.She ran ahead of us guiding us to the correct platform,searched the correct coach and even helped us lift and place the suitcases in the overhead racks. Once we were settled and were wondering how much to tip her, she suddenly demanded 15 euros from us for her services and her attitude changed to that of a local thug. We finally settled at 10 euros.

So please beware !!!!!!.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

Yes, this is repeatedly warned about here. Just say "no"

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

Very common, and they look for those who hesitate and look the most vulnerable.

But in this case perhaps you might consider the service worth 10 or even 15 Euros to make your train, she did that and if you had not you might have lost your ticket price.

I do not like these people either (and they got me one time) but once you let them there is an understanding you pay them something, of course you are thinking maybe a couple of Euros or so.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

Also, 20 minutes is more than enough time to get to your train and board. The track number isn't usually even posted until about 15 minutes prior to departure and if you have a reserved seat on a train, you can board within just a few minutes of departure and still be fine.

It is daunting the first time out - but, the only time I would want to be there the second the track number was posted is if I was taking a train without a reserved seat as I would want to be sure of getting a seat (it has happened where i did not so luck out and ended up sitting on the floor by the door a few times in my Italy travels on regional trains) -

And, it can definitely be other than just females.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

I would be surprised if those touts were Italian.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

I would be surprised too.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 21:23
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

Just to be clear: it's not a custom in Italy, it's a scam made mainly by gypsies and i really can't understand why authorities let them operate.

Turin
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

Heisenbergduke, what's the crime?

Where are the reports made by these victims at the police offices?

Even if the prosecutor could convince a judge for preliminary investigations that she had a threatening attitude and obtain a remand, will the victim be back in Italy for the first trial and the appeal?

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

The crime is extortion (sometimes held with the theft of the ticket from the ttourist). I don't think an efficient system needs a punctual denounce and a trial to discourage this behaviour. I understand it's impossible to legally pursue these scams, but i don't believe it's impossibile to prevent. Especially if victims are abroad tourists who are travelling and they can't denounce promptly in the station where the scam happens.

I don't accept that in the capital of the seventh economy in the world, the third in Europe, random scammers are free to guide travellers to their seat violently pretending money from them, most of the times in front of train and police officers. I don't accept it's something that has to be accepted.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

There was a report few days ago about how bad this situation is in Santa Maria Novella in Florence.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k751…

Turin
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Termini station: Beware of Italian female touts

> I don't accept it's something that has to be accepted

Neither do I, but during a trial you must prove the extortion. You need the victims to testify that they felt threatened and a Judge to think that the threaten was reasonably effective. Of course the defendant will tell another story: "I just asked some cents, I said please many times. I helped them, didn't I? They said they needed some help!" And so on...

The only real solution is to change the criminal law creating the crime of begging . Good luck with our Constitutional Court.