We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

I am banging my head in frustration. . . So much (great!) info is out there, but I'm having trouble figuring some things out for visiting the Vatican.

We are a family traveling with my husband's parents -- 9 total (4 adults, 4 teenagers, and a toddler.) We'd like to visit the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basillica. . . the works.

Obviously, avoiding long lines is helpful.

We want to understanding and appreciate what we are seeing.

Do you recommend getting tickets and doing the Vatican sponsored tour? (How long is it?) Buying online from the Vatican site with a 4Euro fee per ticket adds up quickly.

Would it be better to go with a tour agency / organization? Especially since there is a larger group of us? And is there one recommended?

I'm just really feeling overwhelmed and lost with this maze of information.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,783 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

First, I wouldn't take a toddler on a tour. It just isn't a good idea but if you want to do the tour I suggest booking with the Vatican directly. The teens will get discounted entry and the toddler will be free. This will help with the booking fee as the reduced entry fee is half the regular fee. You might also want to consider doing audio tours instead. You can go at your own pace and see what you want to see without the rigidity of a guided tour.

Donna

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,825 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

If you do a guided tour of the Vatican Museums (includes the Sistine Chapel) and St. Peter's Basilica thru www.vatican.va the guide will go through a door that opens directly into the Basilica. mv.vatican.va

It's about a 15-20 minute walk around the wall between the Museum entrance/exit and St. Peters Square. There's a security line there, entrance is free.

I agree with the Donna, personally I wouldn't take a toddler. The museums, especially the Sistine Chapel and the Raphael Rooms just prior. are 'sardined' with people.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 20:58
Netherlands
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

Hi there,

I am also currently looking at possibilities to book a tour to Vatica with the main point to skip all the lines. I am thinking of booking the tickets for the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chaper at 10.30. As far as I understood, the St. Peter Basilica is free but still you have to wat a loooot to enter. Unfortunately we could only plan the visit on Saturday so I guess it will be very crowded.

Do you think that we should go very early (7-7.30) for the St. Peter Basilica and then wait till 10.30 for the Vatican museums? Othewise I am afraid if we choose to visit the Basilica after the Vatican museums, it would be a very loooong line to wait.

Thank you in advance

NY
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

I think you have the answer already from the previous posts - book a tour for the Vatican Museum, you go into the Chapel at the end and then into SP B from there - no line and only the security check at the museum entrance.

The security line at the front of SP B is unpredictable.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

Thank you for your answer. I meant that probably the SP B won't be that crowded inside early in the morning so that we can fully enjoy it:)

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

I would not take a toddler in that crowd of people. If your toddler goes into a tantrum, there is no where to get back out of crowd to calm the child. The adults who didn't pay for the skip the lines tour are already hot and tired. I can't imagine there being much tolerance for a screaming toddler. There is also complete silence in the Sistine Chapel. We used Overome Vatican Wonders Tour. It was a small group, skip the line tour. If you have to pick one guided tour, I would save it for the Vatican. It is worth the extra money to skip the lines.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

I have 2 more quesitons about the visit to Vatican. It may seem weird to some, but i just wanna make sure that when I get there i won't be declined access:) I know when you are visiting churches and everyhthing related to religion, u must have a certain dress code. However when we go there next week, it is supposed to be 34 C. ! I read somewhere that no shorts are allowed. However I guess shorts bellow the knee would be ok or not? And the other quesiton is regarding carrying a backpack.I have my camera and other stuff i need to care, so is there a place you can leave the backpack? ( i read that backpacks are not allowed in certain places in the Vatican).

Thank you in advance.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,783 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

For St. Peters basilica men and boys are required to wear pants. There is a sign out front stating that shorts are not okay for men or boys. If you try to get in wearing longer shorts you can be denied entry, even on very hot days. If you want to guarantee getting inside you need to wear pants.

As for the backpack, there is a left luggage facility inside the museums and outside the basilica. You can leave your back pack at either for a few hours.

Donna

Netherlands
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

Thank you Donna! We are actually 2 women.:) Does that make a difference, can we wear short pants below the knee?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,783 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book Own Tickets or a Tour // Vatican

Yes, women just need to cover their knees so pants, longer shorts, capris or long skirts are fine. Be sure your shoulders are covered as well.

Donna