We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

I am in Rome now, just had lunch earlier. The waiter brings me the bill and asks,"will you be paying your tip with your credit card or cash?" He asks me this twice and tells me that if he does not see the cash then he'll put the tip on the card. I've been here 5 days and this is the 4th time I get asked this question. Very tricky! Not matter how good the food ever is, this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Of course, I do not leave a tip.

Oh and the Taxi drivers! They are crooks! Beware. I've had taxi drivers to me that they cannot use the meter in Central Rome. Luckily, I know that is a lie, so I immediately get off the cab. One of the taxi drivers put his car in reverse i was getting off and stepped on the gas as I was getting off causing me to fall on the ground then he sped off as he called me a bad word.

Other cabs, I have paid very high amounts with the meter going very fast. I got back to my place and googled fast meters in Rome and discovered that the taxi drivers put on the tariff 2 that should only be used out of Rome to make it go fast. Now I watch the meter to be sure it is on 1 and it is but by the time I arrive it has been changed to 2. I am now solely taking buses. Not an easy public transportation system to figure out for visitors.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

This bad waiters attitude is caused by the millions American Tourists tipping, and tipping, and tipping, even of we say don't. Belive me, they never ever ask for tip to italian, German, English or French tourists. They know for sure you're American and that you're not British.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

Can I ask, do you speak to them in Italian? I too, am very worried about this tip situation. I have read much about it online. I wonder if it occurs less if you speak Italian (I can do all right with it). Both of my recent teachers, born and raised in Italy, said that they would leave something around 2 Euro for a restaurant tip.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

Plus, he added on 5 euros to the bill saying it was tax.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

Write down this phone number: 117, it's free from every phone even if you don't have a SIM on it, it't the Fiscal Police, guardia di finanza, number. Next time you see something suspicious say that you're going to call guardia di finanza: it's very frightening!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

Ooohhh, yes; I've used the 117 threat a few times and people do back down. They really (really) do not like the Guardia di Finanza

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

@Momcat: it's worst than the boogie man!

Ps: I like your new pic! Another door!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

Yeah - thanks! I have quite a lot of the doors but it is an ongoing project - this one is from Rome too. I've got many from Rome, some in Naples and few other places -

In all my years traveling in Italy, I have not yet been asked even once for a tip - there's bit a bit of trying to sneak on "coperto" in Rome when it is not allowed but I have argued that off either with the 117 threat or just saying "no - I know it is illegal" etc.

Never had a tinkered with taxi meter either - I know stuff happens but, so far, so good for me - maybe knowing a wee bit of Italian helps, staying away from eating/drinking right at the heavily touristy spots, etc - who knows.

All prices are to be listed on the menu - if it is not and it appears on the bill, make a fuss - a big fuss if you want - the scammers also don't like attention brought to the fact they are scamming.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,481 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

I am British and have visited Rome hundreds of times. Only once years ago did a taxi driver charge me more than I expected. He couldn't find my friends house and got lost. I have never been asked for a tip anywhere.

I do think that sometimes it is all to do with one's attitude.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

Regarding restaurants and eating in them. I NEVER use a credit card in a restaurant ever. I get the bill, and pay cash. Adding any extra amount I feel is warranted.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tricksters and Crooks! (Waiters and taxi drivers)

this is a very helpful thread. thanks for sharing your experience. will be travelling to Italy 11-17 th.