We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much walking?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
615 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Too much walking?

Would you take a skim over my first day stroll and comment, pretty please?

(for 3 of the 4 women this will be jet lag day :)

- Check in and drop luggage at Hotel Imperiale (on Via Veneto)

- Taxi to Gianicol HIll, enjoy the view, be outside,

stroll down toward Piazza Santa Maria

- Lunch somewhere

- Head to Pantheon via Campo di Fiori

- Enjoy

- Admire and toss coins in Trevi Fountain on way back to Hotel

- Dinner somewhere

- Collapse

We are all in our late 60's but are in fairly good shape.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Thank you!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,540 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Too much walking?

It sounds fine - but, I wouldn't plan so microscopically - it is nice to just wander without having to specifically touch on each area; this is a nice general first day and when you are actually on the ground there, you can decide how it will all go based on how tired you are, what the weather is like (if very hot, you may cut some of the wandering, and duck inside somewhere) -

Since you are already on that side of the Tiber though, I'd suggest some exploring of Trastevere before crossing over to Campo de'Fiori; it is a delightful neighborhood with a lot of visual eye candy when staying out of doors - the buildings, churches, etc.

Do walk through Piazza Navona at some point either at night or day - the piazzas are beautiful at night - really not to be missed.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
615 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too much walking?

Thank you. I did just want sort of a route as with four of us I don't want to waste time without any one expressing a general direction; my friends are a bit of the followers.

And I do want time to wander in Trastevere.

:)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too much walking?

I think this route would be just fine. If it is too hot, you may want to make some changes.

Spending time wandering Trastevere after lunch would be a fun choice. You can always take a taxi back to your hotel if you get too jet lagged. If you continue walking from Trastevere, be sure to walk over the ancient bridges across the Tiber.

I enjoy the area around the Pantheon much more than the Campo dei Fiori. The Piazza Farnese, which is next to the Campo, is beautiful. Again, there are taxi stands near the Pantheon if you decide you need to head home on something besides your feet.

Be aware that the Trevi fountain is in restauro. I hear you can still toss coins in, but I do know it is fenced.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,540 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Too much walking?

Also, the best time to see Campo de'Fiori is before 1 p.m weekday as the market is in full swing from early morning and places begin closing up around 1:00(ish) -

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
615 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too much walking?

Thank you and good to keep in mind.

Level Contributor
1,272 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too much walking?

Campo de fiori is a beautiful square but the market is not as great as it was once, full of low quality goods for tourists and with a huge number of non italian vendors.

There are better markets in Rome nowadays.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too much walking?

Heisenbergduke, where are those better markets?

8. Re: Too much walking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 06:16