We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two questions about Rome

Zele, Belgium
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Two questions about Rome

Hello everybody,

I will be visiting the eternal city in about three weeks' time and I am looking forward to it.

I have noticed that my flight arrives during the morning rush hour when many other intercontinental flights arrive. I fear that the express train to Termini station might be very crowded and that train tickets might get sold out very quickly. Do you think I should book my train ticket well in advance? If so, do I have to buy a new ticket If I miss the train (f.e. when my flight arrives with a big delay?

After consulting Tripadvisor and many of my travel guides I decided to book the tickets for the Colosseum, Villa Borghese and the Vatican gardens well in advance. Are there any other notorious queues that can be avoided by making a reservation before leaving on holiday?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Christophe

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two questions about Rome

Hi, I assume that you are referring to the Leonardo Express train from FCO to Termini? There is a train about every 20 minutes, so if one is too crowded, just wait for the next one.

There's no need to buy a ticket ahead of time - just buy it in the airport station before you get on the train. After you buy the ticket, make sure that you stamp it in the validation machine, before boarding the train. (The ticket seller can point this out to you).

As for queues, I believe the ones you mentioned are prob the worst.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two questions about Rome

The train cannot sell out. There are no seat assignments so you can stand if there are no more seats. There is a train every half hour so if you wish to wait for the next one you won't have that long to wait. There is no reason to book in advance as the train cannot sell out so just get your tickets when you get to the airport train station. Since your ticket allows you to travel on any of the express trains you will need to validate it before getting on the train. If you don't validate the ticket you can be charged a huge fine on the spot.

Donna

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two questions about Rome

I have arrived many times in the morning from the USA and have not had any problems taking the Leonardo Express. I have always purchased my ticket on the spot. And yes, make sure to validate your ticket as mentioned by others.

The 3 sights you mentioned are the best to purchase in advance. I just took the Vatican Gardens tour 2 weeks ago and quite enjoyed it. After the tour of the gardens, you will then be able to tour the Vatican Museums. Just make sure to have a good guidebook (or podcast, etc.) to help you navigate around as it can be a bit overwhelming (so much good stuff!).

Enjoy your trip !

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two questions about Rome

When you get to the airport train station, walk down the track a bit. The cars closest to the track head are always the most crowded, and the ones further away will be the closest to the track head when the train pulls into Termini station.

5. Re: Two questions about Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:15