We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome in a day ideas?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Linlithgow, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rome in a day ideas?

Hi, we are visiting Italy next week and plan to spend a day in Rome. We will arrive around 0930 and depart Rome around 2130. We are a couple in mid 20's and just looking for ideas of a few general attractions to visit and how long this may take/if it's possible.

Any ideas/tips would be great.

Fraser

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome in a day ideas?

Look for a good map on the Internet the area from Piazza del Popolo and Colosseo gathers 90% of main tourist sites in a pleasant walk. Use the metro to reach Vatican.

Check some books or some top ten sites on the Internet (eg TripAdvisor).

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,409 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome in a day ideas?

With just a day you really need to choose what's the most important for you to see. Get a good guide book and read about all the choices Rome has to offer. There are hundreds of sites worth seeing in the city so be sure to choose the 3 or 4 that interest you the most. They don't have to be on any Top 10 list.

Donna

Cypress, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome in a day ideas?

Honestly, having lived in Rome for 2 years, you can do tons!! First off.. the pizza isnt great. The best pizza is in Napoli, obviously. You'll want to see the colosseum (dont pay to go inside, its a waste and takes a while) go to the fontana trevi, pass by the vatican, you can take stairs up to the top and see most of Rome, thats phenomenal, costs 5 euro per person i think, but worth it. Piazza del popolo is pretty cool too. The spanish steps are okay, not too special.

It really just depends on what you want to see. Rome is full of stuff to do though, really cheap souvenirs too.

Just map it out, and use the metros, its cheap, and can get you most places.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23,733 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome in a day ideas?

All depends on your interests. If you have never done a tour of the Colosseum nor Roman Forum would suggest you do those on your 1 day there and if you come back and focus on other sites to see.

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome in a day ideas?

Donna if someone is asking what to see in a city he's visiting next week it means he has no idea of what there is in the city. It means he's interested only in main sites, a random top ten can work it out to understand what there is to see in a city, as also Wikipedia can help. It's a shopping list like many others, not knowing his taste what else?

Isle of Mull...
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome in a day ideas?

I hope the OP doesn't mind me crashing this post but we also have only a short time in Rome. Half a day then two weeks elsewhere then another day. In half a day would it be realistic to walk from Colesseum to Piazza Navona, then to Piazza Popola, then back to termini via Spanish Steps. We won't be going inside, maybe stop for a coffee. There will be 5 of us exploring, 2 adults and 3 kids and we really just want to wander around.

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome in a day ideas?

It's doable, but go from piazza Navona to Spanish steps and then piazza del popolo. Take the metto from piazza del popolo to termini station.

Isle of Mull...
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome in a day ideas?

Great thanks:-)

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome in a day ideas?

There is a metro stop also in Spanish steps in case you're in a hurry or you don't care about piazza del popolo.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,409 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome in a day ideas?

I don't know what you consider the "main sites". To me there are hundreds of sites worth seeing and I would never dream of telling someone they had to visit "A" site or "B" site. What if they actually have no interest in visiting them? Giving them a shopping list of things they know nothing about is not practical. They need to get a guide book and start reading it. Just giving people a list of sites with no other information does nothing but possibly confuse people. It also contributes to the whole "well people say I should visit it so I will even though I don't know if I'll like it" syndrome.

Why should someone visit a site just because others suggest it if those suggesting it know nothing about the OP? We've had tons of people come hear asking for help and being apologetic about not wanting to visit the Vatican museums. They are usually met with those who say "you have to visit them, they are great.....". Why should you visit a place you have no interest in?

The OP has a week left before their trip. That's plenty of time to get a guide book or two and read them. It's plenty of time to decide what they want to see and what they want to skip. We are not travel agents and should give them the best advice we can. Suggesting sites without knowing what someone is interested in, or suggesting "the main" sites (what ever those are) is not the best advice we can give. If someone comes back with a list of what they want to see I'm more than happy to help put it in a good working order but I won't plan someones trip for them.

Donna