We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should we bring our host?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
What should we bring our host?

Hello! My boyfriend and I are headed to Rome in August and have booked a room using Airbnb. Our host has been quite helpful so far (he is even picking us up from the airport late at night). We would like to bring him a small gift to say thanks, but we don’t really know what to bring. We are from Las Vegas – is there anything you can think of that would be well received?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should we bring our host?

An item that is typical/representative of Nevada.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What should we bring our host?

Thank you for the suggestion! There is a winery near us and we are thinking about bringing a bottle from there. The problem is we are not wine drinkers and don't know if it's any good. Also, we know the wine is excellent in Italy, and we're worried our host might be offended by us bringing a subpar bottle of American wine. Thoughts? Any other ideas of things we could bring? Thank you!!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
848 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should we bring our host?

Bringing a bottle of wine might be like carrying coals to Newcastle, it's true. I've only been in Las Vegas once so I'm having trouble thinking of something other than gambling-related items and I know that both that city and Nevada has more to offer than gambling. I'm probably revealing my ignorance but are there any native American tribes about who are known for their crafts (baskets, jewelry, etc.)? If so, something along those lines might work.

New York State
Level Contributor
52 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should we bring our host?

How about a small box of Ethel M chocolates? It's American and everyone loves chocolate...even if they have their own brand. Plus it's not too heavy, won't break, and is just a nice gesture.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What should we bring our host?

Thank you all for the replies! I think we have decided against the wine - seems to risky to take an Italian some wine that we don't know lol! I like the idea of the Ethel M Chocolates - and we have an Ethel M factory in Las Vegas!

I also read that some Italians enjoy tea mugs from various places - perhaps it was only the Italians in the article I read, but what do you guys think of that idea? Mugs that say Las Vegas and Ethel M chocolates?

Thank you again!

New York State
Level Contributor
52 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should we bring our host?

I think that's a great idea. I've been to Vegas a couple of times and always get chocolate...we don't have that on the east coast as much as Hershey. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be appreciated...wine is hard to travel with...and heavy. I'd save that for bringing home to someone who watched your dog or took in your mail. Have a great time...so looking forward to our trip in October.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What should we bring our host?

If he's in his 40s or younger, I would take him a T-shirt with some Las Vegas icon on it.

8. Re: What should we bring our host?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:16