We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This is a question has never been asked!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
This is a question has never been asked!

Hi to all that enjoy this forum as I do.

While spending a week in Rome, I plan on using Sunday afternoon to see a couple catacombs.

First I plan to go San Callisto which is along the Appian Way. Then on to Catacomb Domitilla.

I Googled maps to see the distance from the two and finally got Google to show me I could walk from behind San Callisto across the open area to Domitilla. Then I looked using satellite and saw there is a block fence around Appian Way showing gates here and there. If I got to a gate would it be open? Is it possible to walk across the field? I did Google roads and the satellite view showed a large gate and fence, and if it was opened I would end up trying to cross several busy roads which looked confusing. So back to crossing the field and it would be a short walk between the two catacombs. Anyone know the area and how to easily get to the two catacombs?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,966 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: This is a question has never been asked!

Ignore Via Appia for now. Take the 218 bus to the stop at Fosse Ardeatine. There's an entrance to Callixtus right by the bus stop and Domitilla is just up Via delle Sette Chiese.

Here's the directions for Callixtus: catacombe.roma.it/en/info_raggiungerci.php

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This is a question has never been asked!

Thank you for helping me!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This is a question has never been asked!

We visited the Domitllia catacombs at the beginning of March in 2014. We got off the 118 bus by the St Caliistus catacombs on the Via Appia, and walked accrosse the path on this map

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

To via Ardeatina. Turn right (north) to get to the Domitilla catacombs. There used to be a sign you could read there (in 2006) pointing which way to go to the Domitilla catacombs, but it is totally overgrown with plant life now.

4. Re: This is a question has never been asked!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:16