We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

140E per day for a couple, enough?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
140E per day for a couple, enough?

Hi there,

We are planing a trip to Italy for two weeks. We will have free breakfast included for a week and the other week, we will have to pay for it but we don't eat very much in the morning. Same thing for the lunch, we rarely go to restaurants for lunchs so we can just buy stuff to go. At evening, we would like to have a good dinner with a bottle of wine if possible but nothing fancy too we rarely spend more than 70$CAD for two on a dinner. On top of that, we would have to pay for activities (museum/church entries). Does 140 euro for a couple per day is possible? Thank you!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 140E per day for a couple, enough?

We ate frugally. We rarely spent less than 50 euros for dinner, and that would include pizza. We often took the appetizer for one and split it. Desert and coffee and usually a glass or two of wine each. We budgetted for buses and the metro,usually 6-9 euros a day. Other than the usual sites (where you can see in advance, the price of admission) we spent most of the time walking and soaking up the atmosphere. We did budget 150 euros because we prefer to use taxis to and from FCO, and perhaps within town as well.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 140E per day for a couple, enough?

And were you struggling or it was just fine? I can make it to 150E approximately.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,454 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 140E per day for a couple, enough?

I was always fine on about 50 euros per day - But, to know what the admission prices are for where you plan to visit, just go to the official websites for those sites and you can see admission prices, dates/times of opening/closing, etc.

Menus are posted (by law) so no surprises when ordering. If you do not want to pay for the bread in a restaurant, wave it away right when they bring it to the table; if you don't wave it away - even if you don't eat it, you will be charged anywhere from 2 to 4 euros (average prices) per person for the bread. No use paying for something you won't eat.

Pizzas are for one person and usually run between 8 and 12 euros (depending on type of pizza and where) -

I think you will do fine with that average budget - some days may be a wee bit more, others less. Sodas (i.e., Coke, Pepsi, etc) can be more pricey than wine so be sure to check those prices if that is what you want.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 140E per day for a couple, enough?

Since you put this on the Rome forum, there are several locations of Insalata Ricca in Rome where we found good food and within a budget. They have a web site with their locations and information.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28,548 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 140E per day for a couple, enough?

Yes budget maybe 100 Euros a day for a couple. It is the alcohol that gets expensive.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 140E per day for a couple, enough?

The menus are posted so you know what to expect before you walk in. Same with Museum and other sight admission prices. YOu have bought tickets are commited to go. If it's not enough, you can eat at pizza by weight places and don't drink alcohol. If you want to spend more, credt cards are accepted at many restaurants and it's a simple matter to get more euros with a debit card out of an ATM.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 140E per day for a couple, enough?

Sorry, that I wasn't more specific. We budget 75-100 euros per day. This is more than enough for us. But I do add 150 euros for the stay in Rome just to go by cab to and from FCO (50 euros each way) plus some smaller trips within Rome while we are there.

Edited: 13 June 2014, 01:28
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 140E per day for a couple, enough?

I usually budget 50 euros per day, and agree with PWMV Insalata Ricca is very good if budget conscious

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
619 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 140E per day for a couple, enough?

Your budget sounds plenty. When we went in 2013 to Rome there were very few days that we spent 140 Euros. We ate in restaurants (every second day approx), drank alcohol, sat down for coffee, (this costs more) and paid the admission fees to places. Basically did what we wanted to do, and there were some days when we were well under a 100 Euros.

The trick with eating in restaurants is not to order three courses unless you are very very hungry. We actually ended up having lunch as our main meal as we cant eat that much at night. We are not big eaters though.

We caught the train from the airport ( I think this was 32 E for two) and the train back to the airport.

Jann58

10. Re: 140E per day for a couple, enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:17