We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go after Rome? Lake Como, Amalfi Coast etc

London, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
Where to go after Rome? Lake Como, Amalfi Coast etc

Hi guys,

So I will be going to Rome for a wedding in July, however I was just wondering where would be the easiest place to go to for a romantic mini-holiday afterwards out of Capri, Lake Como, Amalfi Coast etc.

Nothing way too high end and also do not want to have to take too many trains (renting a car isn't an option either).

Open to other areas as well, just want somewhere we can spend 2 days which has some restaurants and other things to do (so were not lazing about all day!)

Thank you!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go after Rome? Lake Como, Amalfi Coast etc

Logistically it's the Amalfi Coast - Take a train from Rome to Salerno.

Is Positano Best Reached via Naples or via Salerno?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194863-i286-k5720…

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go after Rome? Lake Como, Amalfi Coast etc

Why go that far when there's plenty of attractions in the surrounding Lazio region? Places such as Gaeta, Tivoli, Viterbo or the Castelli Romani area are well worth a visit.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 12:22
London, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go after Rome? Lake Como, Amalfi Coast etc

I kind of want to go somewhere a little bit more secluded. Ive been doing a bit of investigating and apparently from Capri you can take trains to Amalfi Coast as well.

Was thinking maybe go to Capri for a day or two then the Amalfi Coast for a day or two then back to Rome and home.

Does this sound like a plausible idea or am I being silly?

London, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go after Rome? Lake Como, Amalfi Coast etc

I havent heard of these places...would you be able to describe them in more detail to help me with my googling!! :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go after Rome? Lake Como, Amalfi Coast etc

None of these destinations is secluded during peak tourist season in July.

Capri is an island, so it's not possible to take trains to the Amalfi Coast, and there are no train stations along the Amalfi Coast with the exception of Vietri Sul Mare.

Perhaps consider Ischia instead of Capri.

But a few days on Capri and then the Amalfi Coast is doable.

Vagabonda

Edited: 16 June 2014, 12:34
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,395 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go after Rome? Lake Como, Amalfi Coast etc

With only a few days you're looking at an awful lot of moving around, with very little actual "being there" time.

You could take a train to Naples, then a bus or cab to Molo Beverello, followed by a high speed boat to Capri. From Capri you could take a boat to Positano or Amalfi. To get back from there you'd need to take a boat or a bus to Salerno, then a train to Rome, then some kind of transportation to the airport (assuming you are flying out of Rome).

By the way, none of these places will be quiet.

7. Re: Where to go after Rome? Lake Como, Amalfi Coast etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:17