We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Rome - Any guidance will help

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip to Rome - Any guidance will help

My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy this September just for 4 days and we plan to land in Rome. Someone told me that one and a half day's is enough for Rome and Vatican City and I should try to visit Venice ad one other city Florence or Milan. Can someone who are well exprerienced travelling in Italy tell me if this is a good idea. If so, how best can we cover these ?

I read that trains are the best way to travl between these cities as it is cheaper as well as the travel is breathtaking.

Any tips or link to useful websites is highly appreciated.

CA
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Rome - Any guidance will help

Anyone will tell you that 4 days is minimal for a city as large as Rome. You could take a train to Florence as soon as you get to Rome and stay overnight. Or as a day trip from Rome, which involves about 5 hours of transportation-related time.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Rome - Any guidance will help

4 days in any one of those cities not 4 days to do them all

if you only have 4 days then stay in Rome

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Rome - Any guidance will help

Thanks guys for the quck replies. Can I do two cities Rome and Venice in four days ?

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Rome - Any guidance will help

why are you going and what do you want to see

you would get a better impression if you stayed at home and read about the cities in a book if you aren't going to actually have time to walk around and look at anything

CA
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Rome - Any guidance will help

The Rome-Venice train ride takes 3.5 hours, so figure about 10 hours travel time at least.

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Rome - Any guidance will help

Thanks for your advice I have already read books on Italy and want to actually see them. I wouldn't be posting in this forum if I have to be satisfied with just reading - would I ?

Georgetown
Level Contributor
412 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Rome - Any guidance will help

Its really tempting to try and see as many places as possible but believe me, you will only end up frustrated and not able to appreciate any. I would base myself in Rome for the entire trip. I have been several times and still have not seen it all- probably never will!

If you want, plan a day trip to Ostia Antica, Pompei or Orvieto which is an hour or so by train from Rome and will give you a feel for Italy outside of Rome.

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Rome - Any guidance will help

Thank you so much. This is the kind o advice I was looking for. I want to see some of the popular spots that we alway read about and thought maybe I could cover these in 2 or 21/2 days and take a train to Pisa or Florence. Maybe taking your advice I should stick to only Rome. Thanks

9. Re: Trip to Rome - Any guidance will help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:17