We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must a credit card have a chip to be usable in Italy?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Level Contributor
25 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Must a credit card have a chip to be usable in Italy?

Hello all -

We have been told that we should get a new credit card embedded with a chip, as many retailers in Italy no longer swipe credit cards due to theft. Is this accurate? Will we not be able to use our current credit cards if we do not have one with a chip?

Any advice is greatly appreciated - many thanks.

Ellen

MA
Level Contributor
25 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Must a credit card have a chip to be usable in Italy?

Thank you for that clarification. It is appreciated. I guess we will also have to rely on other cards with a pin!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Must a credit card have a chip to be usable in Italy?

Talk to your credit card company. I recently called mine and they sent me a new card with a chip. The letter with the PIN came a few days later.

CA
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Must a credit card have a chip to be usable in Italy?

Train station ticket machines will accept an ATM card with a pin #.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Must a credit card have a chip to be usable in Italy?

Nancicinci, your card may have a PIN but it may be for the magnetic swipe function, to get cash on credit from a machine. As far as I know!!there are only three sources for a true chip and pin card in the US, and they are all small credit unions ( Andrews and the state department) and USAA. The chip cards offered by banks ( and I have one) ar chip and signature. They give you a PIN but it it is not for the chip, only for the magnetic strip. That will not work in the machines in Europe. However, I have had good luck with my debit care plus PIN in ticket machines that required it in Switzerland.

nashville, tn
Level Contributor
117 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Must a credit card have a chip to be usable in Italy?

Barclay card now has true chip and pin card avail in US. Takes a little bit of hassle out of euro-travel. Unlike the magnetic strip card, it can be used at any self serve kiosk. Makes getting petrol/train/metro tickets much easier.

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Must a credit card have a chip to be usable in Italy?

We were at a restaurant tonight and they would not accept our MC because there was no chip. We ended up paying with cash.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Must a credit card have a chip to be usable in Italy?

What restaurant and where SpicyTuna? Are you sure there was not some misunderstanding as to the reason they would not take it? As these places know that some countries (especially the US) are not up to speed on the Chip cards, and therefore their tourist business would/could be affected. Indeed however, many places will only take cash, preferring this than to have to pay the hefty credit card company fees. But I live here and while I do have a chip/pin card, I prefer to use my magnetic strip card and I have no problems anywhere (other than the train ticket kiosks) and a few gas pumps.

18. Re: Must a credit card have a chip to be usable in Italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2015, 05:16