We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini

New Jersey
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini

I want to visit the Domus Romane in September. The tickets appear to be available on the Ticketone website, but I'm a little confused. Does anyone know where to pick up tickets purchased on line and, if at the Domus, can it be right before the scheduled time?

Thanks.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini

You can pick up your tickets at the site just before the tour. Take the confirmation print out with you.

Donna

New Jersey
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini

Thanks, Donna

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini

And there's no reason to arrive any earlier than they tell you. The groups are small and you walk around from room to room, standing almost the entire time, so there's no such thing as getting a better seat. We wasted a half hour arriving early so we could be first in just to discover that there was no point. I felt more than a little silly about that. :-)

Edited: 20 June 2014, 20:19
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini

And good for you for doing this. It was a highlight of our trip.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini

We really enjoyed it too. It's a great tour with great information. The show is really done well.

Donna

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini

When you go, just scope your expectations appropriately. I had read a number of reviews of the Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini prior to going, and I felt a bit let down by the actual experience. Perhaps I was just having a bad day, but I can't see how this place rates a place (according to highlights lists) with the Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, Vatican, et al. It is a rather small space, actually, contrived with lighting and special effects to seem more than it is. I was also not very fond of the officious guide who spent nearly as long positioning us correctly in each space (before the canned "presentation") as the presentation itself.

The highlight of the tour for me was the ability to view Trajan's Column from a different perspective (and the brief film about it.) The rest of it -- not so much. There are much better ruins available for viewing around Rome without all the special effects.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini

IMHO it's the special effects that make this, well, special. You can indeed see ruins all over the place. But Domus Romane does a very good job recreating what things must have looked like almost 2000 years ago.

And I agree about the Trajan's Column section - fascinating to this Roman history buff. I had always wondered how the heck anyone was supposed to appreciate the carvings that go all the way to the top. Now I know.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,068 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini

The combination of the very very old with the new technology to bring life to the very very old is extremely well done and compelling. To me, a great example of Italy's ever (and always) innovative imagination and creativity.

If I had never been to Rome before and had less than 5 days or so? I'm not certain it would be on my list but then my list was (and still is) very long with other sites that are of greater interest to me personally.

But - when you know how much of Rome is built upon old Rome, having an opportunity to see these "underground" areas when discovered and open to the public is a hard one to pass up. And, there are other such opportunities but none (of which I am aware anyway) have incorporated this sort of technology to present it to visitors.

I don't think any of the online photos, etc really give one the feel of it - it is difficult to convey what it feels like to walk on a glass floor, something I found unnerving for a bit of the time and it all adds to the whole experience.

But - if unsure - research it, look at photos, etc and decide.

9. Re: Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:16