We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My five days in Rome - looking OK ?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
302 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
My five days in Rome - looking OK ?

Hello Everyone,

I have put together my Rome part of our trip. I am just looking for feedback, advice or suggestions please: We are an Australian family of 5 ( Mum/dad/Son 10/daughter 13 and Grandma 70 )

Day 1 : Arrive Saturday 6th September, 2014 at 7.00am.

Rome Cabs from Airport to accomodation at Giovanni Paolo Pannini ? Apartments

Familarise ourselves locally

Massage

Dinner and bed to get over some of the jetlag.

Day 2: Sunday 7th September, 2014

Collesuem

Roman Forum

Guided Tour starts : 9.45am

Colosseum guided tour

Palatine Hill and Colosseum

Trevi Fountain

Pantheon and Dinner

DAY 3: Monday 8th September, 2014

Vatican, St Peter's & Sistine Chapel tickets Visit time: 09:00 AM

Baths of Caracalla

Rome's Cathedral San Giovanni Laterno, Saint Peter , Saint Paul ,

Santa Maria, Boca della Verita.

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE REST OF THE DAY/NIGHT PLEASE

DAY 4 : Tuesday 9th September

Ostia Antica & surrounds by Train etc

ENOUGH TO DO IN A DAY THERE ? SUGGESTIONS ?

DAY 5 : Wednesday 10th September :

Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Capitol hill , Campo dei Fiori, Trastevere,

Jewish Ghetto

Are we hitting the mark here or not? Too heavy, not enough ? We are doing Salerno, Amalphi Coast, Florence, Venice afterwards including Pompeii etc...

Our children are typical kids, Grandma is mobile and healthy so walking all day wont be an issue.

Suggestions, comments etc are always appreciated and welcomed.

take care.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My five days in Rome - looking OK ?

Looks pretty good! On Vatican day, I wouldn't add anything else. Touring the Vatican is exhausting. You may even end up skipping the churches. Your Ostia day is fine too. It will be cooler in the morning, but more crowded (not overly, but more people go in the AM as opposed to afternoon). Depending on your level of interest, you can spend as little as 3 hours there. If you did that, you might be able to pick up what you miss on Vatican day.

Otherwise, looks good. Don't try to pack too much into your days--the charm of Rome is most keenly felt just wandering around the Centro Storico, eating gelato and sitting at sidewalk cafes drinking vino rosso.

NJ
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My five days in Rome - looking OK ?

I concur with romegnome, looks good with the exception of Day 3, which could be too much. The Vatican Museums and St. Peter's could be a day, although you say you are on a tour which would hit the highlights in a few hours. But the rest of the sights are on the other side of town. Unless you take a taxi, the Baths of Caracalla are a bit of a walk from the Metro station. Moreover, the three sights - Santa Maria Cosmedin, Baths of Caracalla and St. John Lateran, are spread out from each other.

I would do what I could and save the rest for the afternoon after Ostia Antica, which I understand could be done in half a day.

How to prioritize? The Baths are interesting, but take a good guide book (or buy one at the ticket booth) to help understand the site, which is large. Have not been to Santa Maria Cosmedin, but understand the ancient mosaics are beautiful; also the Boca della Verita. Nearby is the keyhole at the HQ of the Knights of Malta. St. John Lateran is beautiful, with huge bronze doors taken from the Curia, the meeting house of the old Roman Senate. Not far from there is Santa Croce Gerusalemme, which I plan to visit a couple of weeks after you leave.

A few other random thoughts. Day 5 looks like a day to wander aimlessly, sounds good; you will need a break. A little secret - there is an elevator in the Spanish Steps Metro station, find it and you can avoid the climb. At the top of the Spanish Steps is a street called Via Gregoriana. At #28 is Palazzo Zucchari, which has interesting monster mouth door and window frames - nice for a quick look and to snap a few photos. Kids should like it. On Capitol Hill, climb to the top to the Campodoglio, a piazza designed by Michaelangelo for a nice view of the Roman Forums.

On Day 2, first would skip Trevi Fountain this day for Day 5 instead, not far from Spanish Steps. You wrap up at the Pantheon. Try to get dinner reservations at nearby Armando al Pantheon, believe this can be done online. It's a very good reasonably priced restaurant. Also nearby is St. Eustacchio, which we think has the best caffe granita con panne. Look it up. Tazo D'Oro competes with it and is on the other side of the Pantheon. Try both and decide??

By all means write a trip report when you get back!! Sounds like a fabulous trip!

Will check Florence and Venice fora to see if you have asked for tips there as well!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,740 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My five days in Rome - looking OK ?

I doubt that you'll be able to fit anything else in on Monday and I suspect you won't finish with what you have listed. The Vatican will take most of the day and the other churches you have listed will have you jumping all over the city.

Day 5 is also a jumble. You're revisiting the trevi fountain then jumping from one side of the city to the other and then back again.

I would change things a bit like this:

Day 2:

colosseum tour, forum, palatine hill, Baths of Caracalla, St. Paul outside the walls, St. Johns in Lateranno, St.. Peter in Chains, Santa Maria Maggiore.

Day 3:

Vatican area, piazza Navona, pantheon, campo dei fiori, jewish ghetto

day 4:

Ostia Anitca in the morning, evening visit to trevi fountain and spanish steps,

Day 5:

Capitolini, mouth of truth in am. Afternoon for anything not visited on previous days.

This will put the days according to site location. I understand that you're trying to visit all the churches on the same day but that is a crazy agenda and has you running all over the city. For the men/boys, just get the zip of leg type of pants so you can be comfortable when outside yet still respectful when inside. The women can carry a scarf for their shoulders and wear anything that is below the knee.

Donna

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My five days in Rome - looking OK ?

I second dbabe - Piazza Navona is under a 10 minute walk from the Pantheon and is a great little square to just people watch and absorb the atmosphere, especially just after sunset!

5. Re: My five days in Rome - looking OK ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:17