We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiburtina Station crime

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Tiburtina Station crime

Hi there,

I will be staying this summer near Tiburtina station. Is the crime rate bad there and is there anything specific to watch out for?

Thanks a lot for any help!

cornwall uk
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiburtina Station crime

I would be surprised if you get any replies, most of the posters on this forum dont live in europe, and see Rome through rose tinted glasses. The reality is that there will be pickpockets, thieves and prostitutes hanging around anywhere there are tourists.Be aware, dont flash your cash, and you should be ok.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiburtina Station crime

Tiburtina Station is nowhere near the touristy part of Rome. That doesn't mean there are no thieves there. However (and I live in Italy) violent crime is very rare here.

To be honest, especially at night, I feel safer in the touristy parts of Rome, because the streets are full of people until late at night.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiburtina Station crime

Tiburtina station is safe - quite moreso than Termini - and modern, you shouldn't have problems (for the records I am a resident). BTW, prostitutes near the tourist sight? Oh no, you can find them along the main thouroughfares leading to the city, in the far outskirts... they're nowhere near the historical centre.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 10:56
Rome
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiburtina Station crime

I'm also a resident. I second Quirite.

Rome
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiburtina Station crime

Tried to edit my post but time expeired :(

Tiburtina is one of the major train stations in Rome. Tiburtina is also a major bus hub (both for buses within Rome as well as connecting to other cities and regions). In addition there is also metro line B.

For me staying near Tiburtina or near Termini from a safety point of view is equal. Even if it is less frequented by tourists there are lots of Romans living there.

Of course I keep my eyes out for pickpockets but that is something I do whenever I am in a crowded place.

Lutherville...
Level Contributor
458 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tiburtina Station crime

I don't like to think that I see Rome in "Rose Tinted Glasses". However I do see most places as much safer places then the 200- 250 yearly homicides that are committed in the city I live just north of.........that being Baltimore City (pop.620,000). It will be my pleasure to return to Italy in November and feel 100% comfortable in walking the streets long after dark.

rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tiburtina Station crime

I third quirite and am a resident of Rome, too.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tiburtina Station crime

It's probably a peculiarity of mine, that I feel uncomfortable on streets that are not full of people. I once lived in a very dodgy neighborhood in Manhattan (when it wasn't the safe city it is now), but I walked all over at night and felt perfectly safe, because the streets were full of people even after midnight. I did the same when I lived in a rough neighborhood in Philadelphia. But then I moved to quiet, peaceful, Princeton NJ and felt panicky on the streets at night, because there was no one about.

My daughter, granddaughter, and I stayed near the Auditorium in Rome, a few years ago when my daughter was attending a conference there. When we came back from central Rome at night, I didn't feel comfortable walking around there, because after 10 PM, there was almost no one out and about. In fact, one time, we were sure someone was following us. We crossed streets, made repeated turns, and he was always there behind us. He didn't follow us all the way to the apartment where we were staying, so maybe it was a mistake on our part, but I would have felt a lot safer in central Rome.

9. Re: Tiburtina Station crime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:20