We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

hi,

I'm from Singapore and will be travelling to Rome with 2 kids in mid-December. After reading many posts here, I've gotten myself a copy of the Rome with Kids guidebook, and don't plan on doing any guided or private tours. Any comments on my itinerary are welcome!

Day 1: arrive at FCO in the morning, travel to accommodation near the Spanish steps.

Day 2: Colosseum/Roman Forum

Day 3: Vatican

Day 4: Ostia Antica

I plan to see the Trevi Fountain and Pantheon one evening, or early one morning, when it's less crowded.

I have also read about ice-skating at certain parks in December - can anyone tell me if the Villa Borghese gardens will have it during December? Also, are there any winter/Christmas specific activites we can partake in when the sun is down?

Thanks!

Edited: 23 June 2014, 09:12
Singapore
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

One more qn: is the underground tour of the colosseum available in winter? Thanks.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

The Trevi fountain is impressive at night but it is being restored currently. I expect that the Fountains at Piazza Navona are also impressive at night. I was in Rome Dec 5-15 in 2006.

The Rome National Museums including the Capitoline and Palazzo Massimo alle Terme are open every night til 8 pm except on Mondays.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

The Pantheon is open til 6 pm and the oculus is cool after dark

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

The Sistine chapel was very crowded even in Dec if that is what you mean by "vatican". Buy tickets online ahead of time if you want to make sure you don't get stuck waiting in a long line to buy tickets after you get there.

It is not all that cold in Rome in Dec. Even at night it barely gets down to 0 Deg C.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

To someone from Singapore, Rome in December may seem very cold.

The Underground Tour can be called off with little warning, especially after heavy rain. In the past two winters, it was offered, but in the previous winter, it was not offered from late autumn to spring.

Singapore
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

Thanks all. i suppose i will have to wait till I get there to see if the Underground tour is available for booking!

Does it rain a lot in rome in December?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

I would suggest that you look on their website starting some time in late November. It's unlikely that they'd be sold out in December, but you still might want to reserve the tour ahead of time just to save time and hassle.

There's a pretty good chance of rain in December, but one year can be very different from the next.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

Every winter in Italy is different. The rainiest winter I have been in Rome was in 2005-2006 where it rained on about half of the days out of 10 days. It only rained all day on one day.

Average rainfall for Rome for the whole month of December is 90 mm (3.54 inches)

weather-and-climate.com/…Italy

I have been in Chicago when it rained 7 inches (177 mm) overnight. It rained 4.13 inches in St paul, MN last ThursdaY (104 mm). So, average rainfall of 3.54 (90 mm ) of rain for a month doesn't seem like a lot of rain.

Most of the time on a 10-12 day trip to Rome in the winter, it rains 2-3 days.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

Hi

I'm going to be in Rome with my wife and 4 kids (14, 11, 8 and 4) on August.

Landing on Wednesday noon. Return on Sunday morning.

This is my schedule. What do you think?

Wednesday - Guided Tour squares and fountains.

Thursday - Guided Tour Colosseum, Forum, Ghetto. In the afternon - public swimming pool.

Friday - Shopping Campo de Fiori sit, course at the School gladiators or alternatively - Capuchin Crypt and Vila Burgezza.

Saturday - Vaticano and Trasavere.

Thanks!

london
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

Please can you let me details of the public swimming pool you are going to visit.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in Rome with kids aged 10/12

With four kids, and especially with a 4-year-old, I wouldn't take any guided tours at all. The tours of the Colosseum tend to last two hours, and if it's very hot, I wouldn't want to spend more than ten minutes inside. In fact, the first time I visited the Colosseum was during a heat wave in August, and I didn't even last ten minutes.

With kids, when it'shot, it's better to go at your own pace, stop often for gelato, and go back to the hotel (air-conditioned, I hope) after lunch for a nap, venture out after 5 PM to see some more outdoor sites.

Fountains are a great idea, but you can see them on your own, without the historical-artistic spiel from the guide, which probably won't interest the kids. Let the kids get wet and hang around until they want to leave. The Villa Borghese Park is another great place to take kids, with plenty of grass and trees, a little zoo, bicycles and other things to rent, a pond with boats, and a puppet theatre. Finally, the Janiculum Hill is another great place to go, with lots of shade and breezes, a great view over Rome, and some little carnival-type amusements for the youngest child.

Buses are a great way to get around. Your two younger children will ride free. If you have access to google maps, you can click on the bus icon when you ask directions, and it will tell you which bus to take, where to catch it (from the address you entered) and so forth. Tickets are €1.50 and include the transfer from one bus to another, for up to 100 minutes. If you'll be using buses four times a day or more, you might want to get a three-day pass.