We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Rome

newcastle
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Rome

Travelling to Rome in September to celebrate my mum's 80th birthday, she is fit as a fiddle and will have no problem walking around the city. No 1 destination for her is the Vatican and then of course all the other sights. Looking for a nice play to stay. There will be 3 of us so if we could all be in 1 room it would be a bonus but not a necessity. Any advice gratefully received, we will be there for 3 nights.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in Rome

Our fav hotel is Residenza di Ripetta. It's a grand place and only minutes from many of the sites.

newcastle
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in Rome

thanks I will check that out .

United States
Level Contributor
823 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in Rome

The Vatican is not close to the other sites…so it’s hard to say what’s better for you. We chose to stay close to the Pantheon, since that location put us within walking distance to most other sites, and within a taxi drive to the Vatican, Galleria Borghese, etc.

But we are not 80, and what’s walking distance for us might not be for you or your mum. Look at a Rome map, see where the Vatican (your #1 destination) is compared to other sites you might be interested in, and pick an area that fits your needs.

For some, being close to the train station is “best”, for others, being outside the main touristic area (read, more expensive area), so what I’m trying to say is, “best” is subjective.

What part(s) of the Vatican do you/your mum want to visit? If both the Museum and St. Peter's, please be aware that it is a lot, and it is crowded. I don't think my mother (who's not 80 yet) could have enough stamina for such a long day. Look at a map of the Vatican museum, and again, decide what areas/rooms are of interest, you cannot see all of it.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in Rome

Lesley, it would really help if you set a nightly limit in euros for your hotel or B&B. Any other requirements?

newcastle
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in Rome

many thanks for your reply. Ideally we are after somewhere within waking distance of train/metro/bus travel, and decent places to eat. With regard to budget also would be nice to find something in the region of 100-125 euro per night.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in Rome

I find the Vatican Museums to be very stressful, as they're extremely crowded, and can also be very hot and humid in September. I suggest that you reserve an entry time in the afternoon, maybe around lunch time, on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday. It would be a great idea to reserve a wheelchair, even if your mother really doesn't need one usually. It will make the visit easier for the rest of you as well as your mother. You can reserve them here:

…vatican.va/3_EN/…MV_Info_Servizi.html

If you'll be there on a Friday, there are Friday evening visits (by reservation only) that are usually much less crowded than the daytime visits.

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

St. Peter's Basilica is must if your mother is interested in the Vatican. It's free to enter, but there are often long security queues. I find it best to go in the late afternoon, when there is often little or no wait to get in. If you visit the Vatican Museums, there is a door for tour groups that leads directly to the Basilica, bypassing the security check. If you have a wheel chair, one of you should stay in the Sistine Chapel with your mother, finding a seat along the wall, while the other returns the wheel chair. The guards often allow people to take this direct route to the basilica even if they aren't on a tour, and I think they'd certainly allow an elderly woman to take this short cut.

I agree that being near the Vatican is usually not convenient for most other places. I would stay centrally, perhaps near the Pantheon or Piazza Navona, and take a taxi to the Vatican.

newcastle
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay in Rome

thank you for your very sound advice it is certainly something we will consider.

8. Re: Best place to stay in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 06:16