We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Around Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation Around Rome

Hi There

What is the best mode of transportation around Rome to visit sites for 5 ppl (3 adults and 2 children)? We will be staying near the Piazza Barberini.

Buses, Taxi? We will be in Rome for 5 days. Do i need to purchase passes?

Thanks!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Around Rome

I would just walk. Rome is compact and it's very easy to get from site to site. The Piazza Barberini is very close to the Borghese Gallery, the trevi fountain and the spanish steps. You won't need a transport pass unless you want one but I wouldn't get one in the same situation.

Donna

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,917 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Around Rome

Rome's bus and metro system are excellent. A single ticket is €1,50. 1, 3 and 7 (€6, €16,50, €24) day passes are available as well. There's a Metro A stop at Piazza Barberini called "Barberini – Fontana di Trevi".

Depending on the age of your children and their tolerance for walking you may find yourself using surprisingly little transit. Rome is extremely walkable.

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Around Rome

I believe that if your children are under 10 they will ride the metro, etc free

The trouble with these passes like the travel card and Roma Pass is they include certain # days/hours travel

plus sometimes free admission to certain sites. But you might not place high priority on all the sites but you think you have to do them because they are free of extra cost.

I concur that you can probably walk to most of the sites you want to see, and then an occasional taxi or metro

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation Around Rome

We stayed at that location and walked as far as Piazza Navona and Colosseum. Took a bus to reach the Vatican/St Peters however. Back then (2007) we used Roma Pass, which had a good transportation segment on it; don't know how it works now.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation Around Rome

I take public transportation all the time in Rome. Once the distance is more than about a 20 min walk, I take a bus, tram or the Metro. The only time I ever take a taxi is when I have my luggage with me. I keep my euro and credit cards in a money belt under my clothes because it is often crowded on the bus or subway.

The 3 day or week transit passes are very convenient but not all the tobacco stores have them. All the tobacco stores have the individual bus tickets.

about Rome public transport

slowtrav.com/italy/…index.htm

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation Around Rome

I walk whenever it is possible and convenient -- walking is, by far, the best way to discover Rome, there's even a joy in taking a wrong turn and discovering a fountain, or church, or something else lovely that you didn't know was there. Many sites are concentrated in the historic center and are walkable, but other sights are farther out. I've often walked to the Vatican from the Spanish Steps, but some may find it too far (or too hot, depending).

I also use the very convenient electric mini-bus system (here's the map -- http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9 ), the metro (usually to go the Vatican, or out to Testaccio or Ostiense), and the occasional tram. I also take taxis on occasion, particularly if my feet just can't walk any more. In hot weather, I'll particularly try to use public transportation just to not be so tired out by the heat, so I may tabs the bus or metro to my destination, then walk back later when it is cooler in the evening.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation Around Rome

We never found an in-Metro vending machine where the credit card reader worked at all - I think they don't have the network operational. And many of the machines were low on change for cash transactions (I mean like day passes, where you're talking about more than a euro or two.) The display suddenly changes the display of (images of bills showing ... ) what size bills are acceptable, which avoids language problems, but requires constant vigilance. It gave Metro use a slight feeling of Neapolitan amateurism. (sorry Rick ... ) That said, it's fast and frequent, but doesn't cover the entire city. The busses are often held up by traffic, as in London or New York.

8. Re: Transportation Around Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 07:16