We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tickets for Vatican and Colisseum

pa
Level Contributor
824 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
tickets for Vatican and Colisseum

Am I understanding this correctly if you purchase Colisseum tickets can you arrive at any time on the days you choose? The Vatican can you reserve on the half hour? Will be arriving by cruise and hope to catch a train I'm thinking 10:30 for the Vatican and the Colisseum in the afternoon or should I do the Vatican around noon? Thoughts or advise please

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tickets for Vatican and Colisseum

The Vatican Museums are a 'timed' ticket, I would visit the Colosseum first and then the Museums. After which, you can then take the train from San Pietro station at 16:40, arriving Civitavecchia at 17:20 (check the info on the link to the right 'To and From Civitavecchia').

mv.vatican.va

To the top right you'll find an informative post by Donna regarding the Colosseum tickets.

You can take the metro from Termini to the Colosseum. A white official taxi from the Colosseum to the Vatican Museums would be 12 Euro+/-.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tickets for Vatican and Colisseum

It sounds like you only have one day in Rome. If I am correct, my advice is to pick one -- either the Colosseum (which is a combination ticket with the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill) or the Vatican -- and spend the rest of the day walking around the historic center. Indeed, you could choose to not go into the Colosseum or the Vatican Museums at all, and instead walk the historic center at your own pace (see the Colosseum from the outside, the Arch of Constantine, glimpses of the Roman Forum from the street, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, the Trevi Fountain (albeit it is now under restoration), the Spanish Steps, Piazza del Poppolo, Via Margutta ….) and perhaps visit St. Peter's Basilica. And it would be nice to stop when you want and have a meal or a gelato. If you have more than a day, I'd visit the Colosseum complex on one day, and the Vatican on another.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tickets for Vatican and Colisseum

I agree. It would be a shame to have a day in Rome and spend the entire time shuffling around in a herd of other tourists. You can actually see a lot of ancient Roman remains in a short time if you skip a visit to the inside of the Colosseum.

And if you really want to see a museum while you're in Rome, you could choose one that's not packed to the gills with tourists and doesn't require a timed entry. The Galleria Doria Pamphilj would be a good choice; it's very near the Pantheon, so you wouldn't have to go far out of your way.

If you catch the train, you can get off at Ostiense station. The Colosseum is two metro stops away (Line B, direction Rebibbia). After wandering around, seeing all the things suggested by SpanishSteps, you can get a taxi (from near the metro station) to the Pantheon. From there, you can walk through the center to Piazza Navona (perhaps after visiting the Galleria Doria Pamphilj). From Piazza Navona, you can get a taxi to Piazza San Pietro. If it's the afternoon by the time you get there, the security line to get into the Basilica may be reasonably short. If not, just admire the piazza, the fountains, the obelisk, ant the beautiful arcade. Afterwards you can get a taxi to the San Pietro station, where you can get a train back to Civitavecchia. You could also do all these transfers by bus. If you want to do that, I'll take the time to find out the best buses, and exactly how to find the stops. You might want to buy a BIRG ticket for the trip into Rome, because it would cover your round-trip travel and all buses, metros, and trams in Rome for the day.

4. Re: tickets for Vatican and Colisseum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 06:16