We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Rome

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,092 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips from Rome

My husband and I will be in Rome for 15 nights in Aug. He has never been to Rome or the area around it so we'd like to do some day trips. I'm trying to figure out which ones to do and which ones to skip. We have alot of time so taking day trips and still seeing all of the sights in Rome should be doable. Here are my options:

Day trip to Florence (via train)

Day trip to Pompeii (this is a must because my husband says it is. LOL!)

Day trip to Amalfi Coast or Capri

Day trip to Tuscany for wine tastings

We would probably book these with a tour company although I think we could do the train to Florence on our own. Still, it's nice to have an informative guide with you. Any recommendations for specific tour companies? We used Viator in Venice for a wine tasting and we were pleased with it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,806 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Rome

Viator is a reseller, not a tour company. I've seen people report both good and bad experiences with them in different places in Europe.

We did a Pompeii day trip on our own. We took the train down and back and used the Rick Steves walking tour in conjunction with the free guide they (at least in 2011) give out onsite. Here's a link to that trip report (post 31):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k44598…

I saw a recent trip report (sometime in June anyway) with a day trip to Florence detailed.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Rome

Day trip to Florence by fast train is good. Why take 2 separate day trips to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast when they are in the same direction from Rome and each being a very long day trip. My suggestion is to at least spend 2 nights in Naples or Sorrento and use that place as a base to visit Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento will be more closer to each of those two places. Start searching for a place now you can also stay in the town of Pompei if it is easier and cheaper to get accommodation there. It is on the local train line. Not much to do at night though so Sorrento will be best.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,784 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Rome

"Day trip to Pompeii (this is a must because my husband says it is. LOL!)

Day trip to Amalfi Coast or Capri"

If you go to Pompeii than I would suggest just continue on the same train from Pompeii down to Sorrento and then catch the Ferry to Capri since you would already be in that direction. More practical than going to Pompeii from Rome and then returning to Rome and then going back to Naples or Sorrento to get to Capri.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Rome

Capri and the Amalfi Coast are not good day trips from Rome. They are too far and you won't have enough time to see or do anything especially if you are visiting Pompeii on the same day. If you want to see all three you should plan an overnight.

Donna

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Rome

With 15 days, I would do some of these as more than a "day trip". Florence rates at least an overnight, IMO - lots to see and do there. It's the capital of Tuscany, so not sure why you would do those separately - I'd shoot for at least 2-3 full days if you want to see the city and perhaps do a wine tour.

-JimG

Kassiopi, Greece
Level Contributor
407 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips from Rome

well i m going in November. If i do a day trip that ll be the the Pompeii.

How long it takes to Florence with the train? becuase i was thinking about visiting Florence in another trip..

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips from Rome

We were in Rome for two weeks at the start of June. Some great day trips include the cities of Calcatta, Civita di Bagnoregio, Orvieto, and Lago Bracciano. The first three cities mentioned are hill towns that are just amazing, especially Civita di Bagnoregio. The last place Lago Bracciano has a beautiful castle with amazing views of the lake.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips from Rome

Just to clarify, the phrase "Lago di Bracciano" refers to the lake - that town's name is just Bracciano.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 10:57
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips from Rome

"How long it takes to Florence with the train?"

It's about 90 minutes on the high speed train. There is one stop in Tiburtina (just outside Rome)

-JimG

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips from Rome

@ JimGinAtlanta: Tiburtina station is not outside Rome at all - in fact, it is located near the San Lorenzo and Pigneto districts (and, of course, my university).

Edited: 02 July 2014, 12:01