We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days and too much to see!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
6 days and too much to see!

I just booked a 6 day/6 night holiday in Rome, staying at Hotel Montreal near the Coliseum (excuse spelling, sorry). Haven't even started looking in to the things to do but I know I definitely want to take a trip to Pompeii.

I've only been to Amsterdam and London before so had no need to really book any trips. Is it better to book before we go, through a travel agent or go in a tourist information office in Rome to get a better deal on trips?

There will be a lot of walking involved, but is the transport system fairly easy to use? I was terrified of the Amsterdam trams until i actually used them and wondered why we didn't get on them straight away!

It's in November so hopefully queues won't be QUITE as bad as they are right now?? (Fingers crossed!)

Also, if anyone has any great things to see or any tips that the guide books may miss, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much for any help :-)

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days and too much to see!

If you're going for six days in Novembre perhaps a day in Pompeii isn't such a good idea as it will be dark early.

The bus system in Rome is very good indeed but walking is the very best way to see that city. Good luck.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
542 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days and too much to see!

The bus and metro system is excellent, but you MUST buy a bus map and spend some time learning what goes where you want. With a pass, you can hop on and off all day long.

Special: be up high at noon, where you can see the noon gun fired from the Gianicolo.

Don't miss gelati at Giolitti.

Do your homework and know where stuff is.

Don't miss San Paolo fuori le Mura.

The dome in St. Peter's is worth the time and money. Go to the top if you are in good shape.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days and too much to see!

Hi

My wife and I went 5-6 days to Rome last year and there was lots to see and do there. We also thought about going to places like Pompeii but we decided to just focus on Rome instead. We used the Eyewitness Guides for Rome and found that to be of great help and we took a couple of tours (at Collosseum and Vatican). We also used the bus to get around town when we got a bit tired from walking :-) I have made a trip report that I can share with you. Get in touch on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com if you want me to send it to you.

Have a great time in Rome...I'm going back in October and I look forward to it :-)

Regards

Gard

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days and too much to see!

We went for 6 days earlier this year: friends who have done a day trip to Pompeii from Rome advised against it, it takes at least 3 hours each way. Why not book a hotel for one night in Naples, catch an early train check bags in and then bus it out to Pompeii ? Then have the late afternoon/ evening/ next morning in Naples and back to Roma the next day, getiing back early afternoon.

We missed loads in Rome by the way, and we aren't slouches. There is a h*ll of a lot to see, just look at something like the Rough Guide.

5. Re: 6 days and too much to see!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 02:18