We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favourite Rome sight at night?

NHA
Cape Town
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Favourite Rome sight at night?

What is your favourite Rome sight or place at night, and why? It could be the impressive sight of lit up palazzo or a cosy cafe on a timeless piazza. Something romantic, uniquely Roman, that you remember with a warm feeling for years and years after you leave?

Rome
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Favourite Rome sight at night?

I'm from Rome and I can tell you that the best place at night in Rome is the area nearby Piazza Navona.

Try it!

NHA
Cape Town
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favourite Rome sight at night?

Yes, that is definitely on the list :)

jmf
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Favourite Rome sight at night?

It's the walk from the Piazza Navona, past the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain to the Spanish Steps!!!!

NHA
Cape Town
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favourite Rome sight at night?

Sounds very nice. How long would such a walk take at a leisurely pace?

jmf
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Favourite Rome sight at night?

We found the walk in the Rick Steves' Rome book... The walk is listed as about a mile starting at the Campo di Fiori ending at the Spanish Steps. We spent about 2 hours, stopping at several of the sights along the way as well as for gelato.

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favourite Rome sight at night?

If you are going to do this walk please start at Piazza Farnese.

It is right next to Campo Di Fiori. It is so beautiful at night when the fountains are all lit up.

This is one of my favorite walks in Rome. I did it several times when I was in Rome last.

wales, uk
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favourite Rome sight at night?

Definitely the Capitoline Hill - you'll have the place to yourself, then walk about 50 metres further on for a view over the deserted Forum with the Colosseum as your backdrop. Great for photos at dusk.

NHA
Cape Town
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favourite Rome sight at night?

Thank you. We'll definitely have a drink at Pza Farnese one night... Or more :)

Regarding Capitoline Hill, I noticed that Fodor's guide also recommends it at night for the view of the lit up Forum. Really look forward to see that..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favourite Rome sight at night?

Also the Vatican area is beautiful at night and there is hardly anyone in St. Peter's Square. . Our hotel was walking distance to St. Peter's and we went there 2 nights at the end of July, beginning of Aug. I had never been there at night before. It was spectacular. There are also fountains there lit up. I got some great pictures and video and it was nice to walk around the square without the crowds.

NHA
Cape Town
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favourite Rome sight at night?

I am very happy to hear that - we are staying close to the Vatican :)