We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capitoline Museum - how long to visit?

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
62 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Capitoline Museum - how long to visit?

Hi, we are a family of 4 (2 teenaged boys). While we have an interest in museum displays, we aren't true art or history experts so we tend to move along at a fairly steady pace rather than get too absorbed in individual items. Please can you give me an idea of how long we would most likely need to allow for these museums? I realise that this is a very subjective question, but I'd appreciate feedback from other families about how long you spent at the Capitoline. Thanks.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capitoline Museum - how long to visit?

I've been there a number of times, and usually spend at least two hours. Once I went with a friend who only wanted to see the Capitoline Venus, so that visit was only about 20 minutes. If you want to make a brief visit, I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the collection so that you know what you want to see and where it's located.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,419 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capitoline Museum - how long to visit?

Like bvlenci, I've been quite a few times and my usual time is between 1.5 - 2 hrs. It's usually not crowded and you can enjoy the museum, views and Palazzo leisurely. It's one of my favorite Museums.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d1…

United States
Level Contributor
823 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capitoline Museum - how long to visit?

We spent more than 2 hours, only because we stopped at their cafeteria for lunch. Even if you don't eat there, stop for the views. But a cold drink, or gelato, or coffee...that'a a nice break that might appeal to your entire group.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 21:16
Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
62 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capitoline Museum - how long to visit?

Thank you for the responses. Very helpful.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,725 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capitoline Museum - how long to visit?

I'd say more than two hours. Above all, I'd avoid to go for a limited time squeezing the visit between two other. Make sure you have some three hours free, and if you want to go out after one hour, do it, but be free to decide. In museums time run much faster than one would think.

6. Re: Capitoline Museum - how long to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:17