We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

Milverton, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

Hi

We are two adult couples who want to take in all we can while in Rome. Aside from doing all the Rome sightseeing items we wanted to see Leaning tower of Pisa and at least have a glimpse into Tuscany.

Is it possible to slide these two destinations in on one day? I do mean whole day from like 8am until 9pm is fine by us.

What would people recommend for travel ... train, bus?

Also I know Tuscany is only an hour away but think in my research see that Pisa is over two hours away.

I would appreciate any knowledge on this inquiry?

65 days and counting..........!!!! :)

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

Tuscany is almost 9000 square miles, so you cannot see it in a day. Since the train you will be taking to Pisa (which is in Tuscany) will be going through Tuscany, you will see some of the countryside.

The train from Rome to Pisa is 3 hours and requires a train change in Florence. So half of your day will be spent on the train, just getting to and from Pisa.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

It is not "two destinations": Pisa is a town (and not a tower); and it is part of Tuscany. Tuscany is not "one hour away": it is in fact 9000 square miles, so some spots are one hour away, to other ones you'd travel half day and more. For one thing you should be a little clear in specifying what interests you (maybe looking for a little basic information).

There are some trains straight from Rome to Pisa, though the journey is not short (some 3-4 hours). A day trip from Rome to Pisa is basically doable. Obviously seeing all the region in one day is impossible.

And please, are you sure that your itinerary in Rome really includes "all you can"?

Milverton, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

And please, are you sure that your itinerary in Rome really includes "all you can"?

This comment interests me what do you mean by this? We are looking at see the Vatican, St. Peter's, Colosseum, Tevi Fountain, Spanish Steps. I am open to any advise on Rome to.

Not sure we want to spend 6 hours of travel time on train.

Thanks

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

Honestly, 6 hours on a train to see the Leaning Tower would be too much for me, especially with everything there is to see in Rome and other more viable day trips.

Last year, I took a day trip via train from Rome to Florence, so I could have lunch at my favorite restaurant. So I am not opposed to day trips. But 6 hours is alot of vacation time to waste!

CA
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

It's more than 6 hours, adding time going back and forth to stations.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

I think Pisa would be a better day trip from Florence, not Rome.

As others have said, Tuscany or the Tuscan area is huge and more like a county or state rather than a city you can cover on a day trip.

I would suggest scrapping the day trip altogether depending on how many days you have in Rome as there is plenty to do in Rome. If you insist on a day trip outside the city walls, consider Ostia Antica for a much closer day trip/half day trip.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,545 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

Rome is so much more than the Vatican, St. Peters, colosseum, trevi fountain and Spanish steps. There are hundreds of great sites that are well worth visiting. It just depends on what you're interested in. Grab a guide book for a more complete guide of what the city has to offer. Most people will only suggest the few sites that have ever been suggested to them but If you take the time to read up on the city you'll find tons of sites that hardly anyone visits. Which ones you choose is really up to you.

Donna

Milverton, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

Donna do you have any suggestions?

We are interested in historical buildings, architecture, good food and drink.

I am being to think the adventure to Pisa is a long day.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

I note that the "all we can" often comes to be having a look of few popular and touristy places. It hardly means visiting all that a place can offer a calm and relaxed way. Anyway, Donna has already said most of what I meant, including the suggestion of using a guidebook.

Milverton, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Pisa and Tuscany from Rome

Thanks I do have some books I will re read and plan from there. The couple we are travelling with really want to see Pisa so we may suggest that as a day we do separate things as we are not into that much travel time.