We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Florence day trip by high speed train

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Florence day trip by high speed train

Is it necessary to purchase train tickets in advance via the internet? We want to use the high speed train to give ourselves a full day of touring in Florence. I have been there before but my husband has not. How easy is it to use the website for the train? Dont want to end up on the 3hr. slower train!

CA
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Florence day trip by high speed train

Buy here up to 120 days in advance. Trip takes 1.5 hours.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Florence day trip by high speed train

base fare, full price one way on the fastest train (1 hour, 31 minutes) is €43, for two people round trip would be a total of €172.

buying in advance can save you significant euro.

Super economy tickets are €19, which for two people round trip would be €76.

Trenitalia's website can be a bit tricky but I think it is well worth the effort to score some discounted tickets.

New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Florence day trip by high speed train

Thanks so much for the tip about super economy tickets...that is a huge saving! I will navigate the site and hopefully purchase the tickets!

New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Florence day trip by high speed train

is there a difference between www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.com . I couldnt find any economy tix on trenitalia website,(nothing less than 38 Euro per) but the trains on italotreno website leave from Roma Tiburtina instead of Termini. Thoughts?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Florence day trip by high speed train

If you can make your way to Rome Tiburtina station, then of course it's worth going with Italo. They have newer trains too , based on the new generation AGV from manufacturer Alstom.

montreal
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Florence day trip by high speed train

If you know you can stick to a schedule purchase economy tickets because they do not allow any changes but obviously they are the best rate. last year i decided not to purchase my bologna to florence tickets in advance and when i got to the station it was a CRAZY euro amount. something like 98euro!!! register with trenitalia website and you will have all your bookings there once paid. (you don't have to register but i did because in case you lose your printed ticket you can always reprint)

7. Re: Rome to Florence day trip by high speed train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 07:16