We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Akaa, Finland
2 posts
Save Topic
Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

What are the official sites where I can buy tickets in advance to those places?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

This link for the Colosseum/Forum from the Top Questions to the right: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k72049…

Vatican Museums: mv.vatican.va

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

We bought ours threw Viator for the Vatican, and did the before hours Sistine Chapel tour. It was very cool, we got into the Chapel before the general public, I think there were only about 20 of us in there for awhile. Another cool thing about it is, you walk threw the Vatican Museum to the Chapel, and there's no one in there either.

It will cost you a bit more then the general admission ticket, but you don't have to wait in line, and you can sit down and experience it in a very quite setting. You then can go on to visit the Vatican museum at your leisure.

We also bought the Underground Chambers, Arena and Upper Tier for the Colosseum in advance, and enjoyed that as well. Again, you skip the lines, and it was fascinating to tour the Colosseum from top to bottom. The guide was very good and had a lot of good information.

After the Colosseum, the ticket includes a visit to The Forum and Palatine Hill.

We paid a bit more then general admission for these site, but we may never get back there again and wanted to make the most of it.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

You don't need to book through a third party vendor to bypass the lines or do early morning tours. The Vatican offers early morning visits on the official website.

To book the underground tour of the colosseum just use the official website listed.

Donna

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

Not sure what time the Vatican tour starts, but we were in the Chapel a good 15 minutes before any other tour group came in. We entered at 7:30.

Here's the info on it for anyone interested, was well worth it IMHO for a once in a life time experience.

viator.com/tours/…d511-3731SISTINE

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

I went on a Friday night and there were only about 40 of us inside the chapel. I was able to sit for more than 45 minutes admiring the artwork. I paid 20 euros to do it. I could have taken a guided tour for 32 euros. It's wasn't crowded inside the museums and it was cooler than going during the day. They even played music in the courtyard. It was wonderful and didn't cost a small fortune.

If you're going to be in Rome on a Friday night this may be something you want to consider.

Donna

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

I heard that night tour was cool. We ran into some people who did it, I thought they said they did a dinner and wine thing there. Whatever fits into your schedule, the early morning tour worked out best for us. Gave me an excuse to get my wife going early, she's not a morning person.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

If I thought I could get my husband up early it might be an option for us but there is no chance of him getting up early while he's on vacation. The night visits are great. The crowds aren't even half the size they are during the day. I was surprised to find out how "not crowded" it actually was.

I didn't see anyone doing any dinners but I suppose they could have been. That might be a unique experience worth looking into. I think for my upcoming visit I might try to do the "breakfast" visit just to see how that is. If I can work it into my work schedule I think I'll give it a try.

I'm glad the morning tour worked out for you. I hope you enjoyed the rest of the city as well.

Donna

Akaa, Finland
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

Thank you for all your answers.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

Hello, I just bought 2 tickets for the colosseum on the website, but they don't have a date and an hour ? For how long are they good ? Will they be valid when I go in september ?

Thank you

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets to Colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican

They are valid until December 31, 2014.

Donna