We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galleria Borghese

6 posts
Save Topic
Galleria Borghese

In your opinion do you think it is possible to do the Colosseum/Roman Forum/Palatine and the Galleria Borghese in one day?

Also am I correct that on the first Sunday of the month the galleria is free and will then take no reservations? Does anyone know what the queues are like?

United States
Level Contributor
842 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galleria Borghese

I guess it's possible in the summer when days are long if you have a 9am entry at Borghese, skip the park (sorry, no time for that), take a taxi to Colosseum, grab a sandwich then skip the lines and start your Colosseum/Forum visit.

I assume you will have Colosseum tickets purchased in advance and are ok with a long and tiring day, when you are on the go all day.

Alternatively, you can take an afternoon tour for the Colosseum/Forum, it's about 5 hrs long, and very well worth it, IMO. Otherwise, the Forum is just a pile of ruins. We really appreciated all the info from the tour guide.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
805 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galleria Borghese

We are doing this on August 3.

We have a 9:40 reservation for the underground tour at the Colosseum and a 5:00 pm reservation at the Borghese.

You must still call for the Borghese though the tickets are free. You cannot book online for the free Sundays.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galleria Borghese

While it's possible I don't know that it would be the best idea. If you don't have any other time to see them then it will have to work.

As for free Sundays, the colosseum won't sell tickets online, you just show up and get the free ticket. For the Borghese you still need to call to make a timed reservation. They only allow 250 people inside at one time so book is still mandatory.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galleria Borghese

For me it would be too much. Rome is not a city for rushing around, and in any place, I try to avoid multiple timed events in a single day. It leaves no flexibility.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,732 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galleria Borghese

It would be an overload for me. A perfect Borghese visit for me would have to also include the gardens and then a stroll through the Spanish Steps area and lovely (window) shopping promenade. I think less is definitely more.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galleria Borghese

Also, the Pincian Overlook, in the Villa Borghese park, has a wonderful panorama, including Piazza del Popolo below. To rush to the Borghese Gallery and rush away again is a real shame. For a first visit, which usually includes many very crowded "top 10" sites, I would perhaps suggest skipping the Gallery and spending a restful few hours in the park.

Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
433 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galleria Borghese

I think it's do-able. You are limited to only two hours in the Borghese and if you do that first thing I think there is plenty of time. The Colosseum and Forum can take as long or short as you want. We spent about two hours in the forum/hill and about an hour at the colosseum. We didn't feel rushed, but we are not the type to need to see every detail.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited to add: go to the forum first to get your tickets at the shorter line, although on a free day, all lines might be crazy...

Edited: 19 July 2014, 16:58
weston super mare
Level Contributor
193 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galleria Borghese

Donna and Profandmum, we are also in rome on Sunday 3rd and looked at visiting the borghese gallery. Do you have the telephone number for reservations? I've been on the website but unable to find in on the English page. Thanks for your help.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galleria Borghese

www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/einfo.htm

weston super mare
Level Contributor
193 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply