We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best Rome side trip?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Helotes, Texas...
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best Rome side trip?

My husband and I are planning on visiting Italy for the first time in April 2015 for about 8 nights. We have decided to focus on Rome and save northern Italy for another time. With that being said, we are still open to taking a day trip to either Florence, Amalfi Coast or Pompeii. Any suggestions? Are two day trips maybe reasonable? At first we thought about Venice, Florence and Rome... but we don't to rush and we would like to enjoy Rome and soak it all in.

Should we not even take a side trip??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,742 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best Rome side trip?

Decide when you there - see how it is going and whether you want to take a day somewhere else. Florence is only 90 minutes away, 70 minutes to Naples a bit more to Pompei, bit over an hour to Orvieto; the Amalfi Coast is NOT a day trip - takes roughly 4 hours each way to get there.

There are others - look in your guidebook too for ideas.

Cranford
Level Contributor
48 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best Rome side trip?

Funny, we are debating the same question. In Rome for 7 nights (wife and two sons 19 and 15), trying to decide if we should take a trip to Florence or Pompei or even both... Leaning towards just heading to Florence...but am open to suggestions...

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best Rome side trip?

We just returned from three nights in Florence and then five nights in Rome. Florence is very close via the high speed train, and the trip is just a little over an hour.

One of the days in Rome we used for a side trip to Pompeii, where we left @ 6:00 am and returned around 7:30 pm.

While I'm sure there is a lot we missed, I feel we got a great taste of everything, including some extended tours we took of the some of the sites.

I would plan out what sites you want to see on what day and take it from there. We usually planned on one big site or tour for that day, which left a lot of of time for just gawking and eating gelato!

Edited: 18 July 2014, 21:03
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best Rome side trip?

The above posts are on the money. Having family in Italy I have traveled to this wonderful country many times. Florence a day, Pompeii a very long day but well worth it. I have found that preplanning is the key. Decide what is of interest to you before you go. Happy travels!

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best Rome side trip?

Ostia Antica is also a great day trip-not as far a Florence (which is totally do-able in one day) but Ostia is interesting and beautiful grounds - bring a picnic and enjoy..

Level Contributor
306 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best Rome side trip?

I'm less interested in ancient Rome, so I'm giving Ostia a pass and opting for Orvieto. Must see that beautiful Gothic Duomo

Georgetown
Level Contributor
412 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best Rome side trip?

Orvieto is a great choice. It is a beautiful city and an easy day trip from Rome. It will give you a feel for the countryside outside of Rome and of course the Duomo is one of the most impressive in Italy both inside and out.

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best Rome side trip?

We have the exact same situation. After talking to many friends who have been to Italy decided not to go to Venice and focus on Rome and Florence with our 8 nights. And this will be our second time in Rome so I have a list of things I missed the first time around, trust me you will be happy with at least 4 days there. We plan to take the high speed train to Florence, but will have to come back to Rome to fly out from there. Hopefully will take one of our Rome days and do the Pompeii day trip which I hear is long, doable and worthwhile. Can give you more details when we return in late September. I must say that I've learned when traveling (as in life) you have "to take the time to smell the coffee" but also drink it and in Italy, you will want to do that.

9. Re: What is the best Rome side trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 05:15