We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days in Italy at Christmas/New Years...Help!

Aledo, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
9 Days in Italy at Christmas/New Years...Help!

I'm taking my niece to Italy for 9 days at Christmas/New Years. She's 19 and never been to Europe. I need help deciding where to take her so that she experiences the awesome historical sites AND gets a feel for real Italian culture.

We're spending 3 days in Rome but I'm torn between heading north to Tuscany or south to the Pompeii/Positano/Capri. I also want to factor in some down time to just stroll and explore. I hate trying to fit in as much as possible and feeling rushed. We fly in 12/26 and out 1/5.

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,566 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from US$395.30*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,877 Reviews
from US$58.70*
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days in Italy at Christmas/New Years...Help!

My vote is florence and Siena...so much to see ...

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Florida
Level Contributor
924 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days in Italy at Christmas/New Years...Help!

You are traveling during a time that many hotels are closed in the southern part of Italy and the weather will limit the things you can see south of a Rome. If you go up to the Tuscan region there will be more to see. Rome is more fast paced then Tuscany is very laid back which is a great combination IMO. You'll also still be able to see the Christmas markets and decorations!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days in Italy at Christmas/New Years...Help!

I would go to Tuscany. The winter really isn't the best time of year to visit southern Italy. I think you'll find plenty to do in Tuscany. You can easily take the train to many smaller towns and just wander the streets soaking it all in.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Aledo, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days in Italy at Christmas/New Years...Help!

So, it's not worth it, at all, to venture south? I visited Tuscany 4 years ago at Chtistmas and enjoyed it very much. Just wanted to show my niece the diversity of the country's scenery. But I hate to waste my time going South if everything is closed. Was thinking of using Sorrento as a base. Not worth it?

Edited: 21 July 2014, 08:50
Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Days in Italy at Christmas/New Years...Help!

Sorrento and Naples are beautiful at Christmas/NYE. I had the best New Year's of my life in Naples - fireworks the length of the bay from Sorrento to Pozzuoli and it went on for over half an hour. Sorrento is not closed - just quieter and in my opinion, it has a lovely atmosphere. Naples has the famous presipe (nativity) street of San Gregorio Armenio where artisants sculpt and craft hand made nativity scenes. The churches are also absolutely beautiful.

There is no way 'everything is closed' as people still live there. Positano is certainly quiet but some shops and restaurants are still open.

Kathy

http://kathyw62.blogspot.com.au/

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
Pozzuoli
Pozzuoli
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34,561 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Days in Italy at Christmas/New Years...Help!

"I'm torn between heading north to Tuscany or south to the Pompeii/Positano/Capri"

we did the Pompeii and Capri because we had less time overall and wanted to see specific things in those places.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Days in Italy at Christmas/New Years...Help!

I have also been to Florence for 10 days in 2009, and that was great. The hill towns in Tuscany will have the same problems as Cpari and Positano, in that a lot of restaurants and lodging will be closede.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Aledo, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 Days in Italy at Christmas/New Years...Help!

Thank you for your post. I think we're going South, after all! It appears there is still plenty to do and see for our time frame. I have always loved traveling to Europe during the holidays because it's quieter. I've just never visited a beach area in the winter. It still should be a great adventure!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
9. Re: 9 Days in Italy at Christmas/New Years...Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:15