We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

Bit of a wrinkle on the typical Roma Pass question here...

I want to use the Roma Pass on the two most expensive sites which would be the Borghese and Colosseum/Forum/Palatine. The only issue is that I've booked these two places on different days. Here's an example itinerary:

1st day (Monday) = Vatican + miscellaneous (probably just walking around the city)

2nd day (Tuesday) = Borghese + Trevi, Pantheon, Castel Sant'Angelo etc.

3rd Day (Wednesday) = Colosseum/Forum/Palatine + whatever

My question is, if I use the first free entry on Borghese, can I then "save" my second free entry for Colosseum while also getting discounted tickets on anything I visit in between the two attractions?

For example, after I visit Borghese, let's say I want to go to Castel Sant'Angelo on Tuesday. Can I line up, show my Roma Pass and pay the discounted ticket and save my 2nd free entry for Colosseum?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,916 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

The discount is for the first two museums you use it with. You cannot save it up for a later entry. Or so we were told and so our pass was debited.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,280 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

See 2.3 on their website:

www.romapass.it/p.aspx?tid=33&l=en#faqq11

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

Hm, ok then it seems like we won't be able to take advantage of discounted tickets if we want to use it on Borghese and Colosseum. Poor planning on my part then. Thanks for the help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,280 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

I don't understand - why not just move Castel Sant'Angelo to Monday or Wednesday after the Colosseum? There is not admission fee to the Trevi fountain or the Pantheon -

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

Oh, it's just an example. I figured there might be a couple of places where we want to stop in on Tuesday (or Monday) after the Borghese that would have admission fees before we went to Colosseum the next day.

We'll just do the free/no-fee places on Tuesday and anything we really want to get a discount on after Colosseum on Wednesday. Either way, we'll break even on the Roma Pass/Metro even if we have to pay full price tickets for places like Castel Sant'Angelo and others that charge admission.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 16:37
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

Or you could pay full price at Castel St.Angelo and thus save your roma pass for the Forum/Coloseo. I'm in a similar spot, with my vatican day in the middle and debating getting a roma pass or not.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

That's the plan since you cannot "save" your choice of free museum.

We will just use it at Borghese/Colosseum and pay full price everywhere else we choose that has an admission fee. We will end up breaking even with the pass using it on those two places plus how much metro we use for the three days. Also, getting direct access is convenient as well.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,080 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

Actually, I think you'll be fine using the first two entries on the Borghese gallery and the Castel Sant Angelo. The reduced fee for the Castel is 7.00 and the reduced fee for the colosseum is 7.50. For the .50 I would take the discount at the colosseum and save the money. That way anything you visit after the castel and Borghese, that is covered by the pass, will be at the discount price. Doing it this way means you really only "lose" .50 cents.

Donna

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

That's a fair point, but what about having direct access to Colosseum by having the free entry with the Roma Pass? Can I still bypass the line if I'm paying the discounted fare at Colosseum?

If not, I've booked an Underground Tour of the Colosseum for the Wednesday morning. When I arrive for the tour, can I let them know that I'd also like to visit the main area? Will that allow me to bypass any line? I know that you can get your tickets other ways (like buying them at Palatine Hill), but just seems much more convenient this way.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,080 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roma Pass - Your Choice of Free Museums

You can bypass the line by showing your underground tour reservation. Just go to the tour desk to check in for the tour and pay the reduced fee for entry. You don't need to wait in line. Just show the attendant at the front of the lines your reservation and they will direct you to the proper line.

Donna