We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musei Capitolini's caffeteria (Terrazza Caffarelli)

Washington DC...
8 posts
Save Topic
Musei Capitolini's caffeteria (Terrazza Caffarelli)

I've heard that the views from the rooftop café at the Capitolini museum are wonderful.

…museicapitolini.org/oltre_il_museo/caffette…

I'd like to know:

1. Is the café open only to the museum patrons?

2. Are it's hours the same as the museum's hours?

3. How does one reach the cafe's entrance? (I visited the museum in 2011, and I don't remember seeing/hearing anything about the café)

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Musei Capitolini's caffeteria (Terrazza Caffarelli)

From a Google translation of the website:

In Piazzale Caffarelli, 4, with external access from the steps of the Capitol, on the top floor of the beautiful building that houses the Capitoline Museums, is located the Terrazza Caffarelli.

From 09.00 to 19.30 (except Mondays) is also open to the public who attended the Coffee Capitol - refreshment bar / café, at the end of the museum tour.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Musei Capitolini's caffeteria (Terrazza Caffarelli)

There is an entrance, by staircase, on the outside of the building, on the Cordonata side. The views are very nice and the cafe is pleasant, but not overly special. The hours are noted on the site you listed.

There is another cafe, on the opposite side of the Campidoglio, behind the Victor Emanuel Monument. It has a pleasant view over the Foro Romano. You can enter it from either side, either the monument or the piazza. It is also a nice, but not notable, cafe.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Musei Capitolini's caffeteria (Terrazza Caffarelli)

The Google translation "Coffee Capitol" was presumably the Capitoline Café.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Musei Capitolini's caffeteria (Terrazza Caffarelli)

You have to buy tickets to the museum to get to the cafe but you don't have to buy anything at the cafe to walk out onto the terrace. The views are indeed wonderful. It's also a really interesting museum, so bonus.

Maine
Level Contributor
378 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Musei Capitolini's caffeteria (Terrazza Caffarelli)

Did you find out if one can have lunch there without buying ticket to museum?

Bangalore
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Musei Capitolini's caffeteria (Terrazza Caffarelli)

If I remember correctly, the views the OP refers to were great but not spectacular and, IMHO, not something I'd specifically visit the Museum for. The cafeteria fare was so-so and there is also a sit-down restaurant by the side of the terrace. I'd recommend the climb up to the Vatican dome if you want unforgettable 360 degree views of Rome. Castel Sant' Angelo (Hadrian's Mausoleum) nearby also has great views from the roof. I'm sure others have their own recommendations.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Musei Capitolini's caffeteria (Terrazza Caffarelli)

I wouldn't suggest that someone go to the Capitoline Museums just for the view of the Roman Forum. It's a truly great art museum, with some of the world's greatest ancient sculpture, and many other works of ancient art, as well as a small but important collection of paintings (including two great paintings by Caravaggio). It would be well worth the visit even if it had no view and no cafeteria. However, the view over the Roman Forum is truly great. In the winter, when the Forum closes at dusk, the Capitoline Museums remain open until 8 PM, giving you a wonderful view of the Forum at night. You can get a similar view without paying admission from Piazza del Campidoglio, where the Capitoline Museums are located, if you go around to the side of the central building (the Rome city hall), although it's not as high up as the terrace of the Colosseum.

You can get an excellent view of Rome from Piazza Garibaldi on the Janiculum Hill, for free. The viewpoint is similar to the view from Castel Sant'Angelo and the dome of St. Peter's Basilica, although the view from the Basilica is considerably higher. It's really the best spot to get a good view of the dome.

Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Musei Capitolini's caffeteria (Terrazza Caffarelli)

Just wanted to add that you do not need tickets to the museum to access the bar there. Go around to the side to enter and up the stairs. After the first flight of stairs there is a bathroom, then after the next is the bar. There is self-service to sit inside and table service to sit outside. You can just walk outside even if you buy nothing at the bar and the view is nice.

9. Re: Musei Capitolini's caffeteria (Terrazza Caffarelli)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:15