We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around with drafted itinerary

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling around with drafted itinerary

Kindly seek your advise on transportation options for the below drafted itinerary. We are group of 6 with 1 children, aged 12.

Day 1

Arrive at Fiumicino Airport - take Leonardo Express to Roma Termini

Roma Termini to IQ hotel (Should I walk or any other good options considering our luggages?)

IQ hotel - Pantheon - Spanish Steps - Trevi Fountain (Walk or other options?)

Day 2

IQ hotel - Colosseum - Forum - Palatine Hill - Capuchin Cemetery (Walk or other options?)

Day 3

IQ hotel - Vatican City (Any suggestions on transportation?)

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Leonardo Express
Leonardo Express
848 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel Pantheon Rome
Hotel Pantheon Rome
738 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,655 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,060 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel Colosseum
Hotel Colosseum
1,097 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
19,785 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican City
Vatican City
5,791 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling around with drafted itinerary

You are better off hiring a private transfer company to take you directly to your hotel. For 65 euros romecabs.com will pick you up and take the entire group directly to your hotel without needing to go to the termini and walk or cab from there. The express train will cost you 70 euros and then you still need to get to the hotel from there. Save a few euros and a lot of stress by going with a private transfer company.

You can easily walk to all the destinations you name with the exception of the Vatican. For that, just take the metro to the Ottaviano stop and walk the short walk to the museums.

Get a good map to help you with routes and you'll be fine.

donna

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
241 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling around with drafted itinerary

Thanks Donna.

I am actually quite concern about getting lost walking from hotel to the designated tourist spots.

Will there be any signages that may be apparent enough to guide us?

If not, I am also exploring on Metro and Hop On Hop Off Bus. Hop On Hop Off Bus seemed like a better option considering the fixed routes to tourist spots. However, I am just wondering once I "hop off" to Trevi Fountain for example, I may need to wait for another round of bus to tour us back to another spot, such as termini? How long is the waiting time?

Afterall, if I am able to navigate by foot, I would rather go by foot. To save cost and appreciate the sceneries. Just very concern about excessive walking that may lead us to tired feet as we have children with us.

Mentioned in this post
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,060 Reviews
Rome, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,632 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling around with drafted itinerary

Use a map and you should be fine.

The HoHo buses cannot go to many of the sites - it can't get to the Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Campo de'fiori, etc because the streets are too narrow - and, the metro doesn't reach most of these sites either.

A map is all I have ever used and still do and it's just fine.

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,070 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,655 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,420 Reviews
Rome, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling around with drafted itinerary

I agree with Momcat, your map should be all you need. Rome is a very small, compact city and walking is the way most people get around. Just familiarize yourself with the city map before you leave so you'll have a sense of where you need to go and which direction you need to take. Also, if you get lost you can stop into most shops and ask for directions. Shop keepers are usually very helpful and should be able to point you in the correct direction.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling around with drafted itinerary

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll go by foot!

6. Re: Travelling around with drafted itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:16