We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roman dessert question & a hotel breakfast question

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,888 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Roman dessert question & a hotel breakfast question

I'm looking at dessert recipes and trying to picture my desserts in Rome (we arrive in late December). When a menu says "whipped cream" on an item, is that typically sweetened whipped cream or is it just good old cream, whipped? Or is it highly variable?

I'm not a huge sweets fan, but I do like whipped cream in coffee occasionally (or just plain cream, which I understand may be unusual in Rome?)

Also, when a hotel has meats and cheese for breakfast, any typical cheeses? I'm just curious (I'm guessing the meats are often hams and salami).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roman dessert question & a hotel breakfast question

Desert:

When they say whipped cream they usually mean the real thing but then again it also depends on the establishment.

Cold meat and cheese:

most hotels offering the above cater to an international market and the cold meats and cheeses you will find are primarily to cater to the Dutch, Germans and Swiss who tend to have those items for breakfast. Dont fret, just try them all.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roman dessert question & a hotel breakfast question

The quality of breakfast meats and cheeses is pretty variable; I have found many places have some pretty mediocre ham, slices of Fontina, some Mortadella, maybe some salamis - In some places, I have had a much richer choice including prosciutto, more choices of dried meats (very good stuff!) a variety of Italian cheeses (some of which I don't know by name) - fruits, yogurts, sweets (cakes, cornettos (a kind of Italian version of croissant), etc. A few places had fresh mozzarella and fresh tomatoes - but, I only lucked out with that bounty a few times.

I don't eat many sweets - If I do, it is mostly gelato and a few of the favorites from bakeries like pignoli cookies, biscotti, and my favorite - Sfogliatella which has a wonderful, not too sweet cream inside (though it is mostly a desert from Naples - oh, it is so good. Deadly - but, I have one about every two days when I'm there); pretty much anything with pistachios which shows up in some wonderful sweets.

I've never gotten the whipped cream on my gelato but they do give it to you if you ask - I have had it on some cakes in restaurants and it has not been sweetened, only the cream itself. One places had a warm not very sweet chocolate cake with a mound of this cream that was heavenly but the restaurant itself just isn't very good anymore - (Pier Luigi)

I've never gotten such cream in my coffee so don't know if such a thing is ever served - it might be. The coffee house Tazza D'oro (famous, good coffee place) by the Pantheon serves granita with whipped cream but I haven't had the cream so don't know if it is sweetened but if they have it for that, I would think they would serve it with your coffee if you ask.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,888 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roman dessert question & a hotel breakfast question

TY - Bonjours, that's exactly what I was wondering! Totally explains what will be there in that category.

Momcat - such great details. Very helpful.

The part about the cream is *so* helpful. I totally love unsweetened cream, do not like the sweet stuff, but hate pestering employees about such matters. I figure there are local customs and I'll go with what's local - but was very curious.

Dairy products in Europe are so tasty, no need to cover up with sugar!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roman dessert question & a hotel breakfast question

I do think you should ask though if it matters as I have had some that did have some sweetness. My experience is that it is either none or lightly sweetened. But, I don't eat it on many items -

I often just go into bakeries and get some things that look really good to me even though I have no idea what they are - very rarely have I been disappointed.

Rome during the holiday season is a real treat - I spent 2 weeks there last year and fell in love with it, all the beautiful holiday decorations/lights

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
973 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roman dessert question & a hotel breakfast question

My experience was the cream all around Italy was 'real cream'. As a cream lover I was in heaven! None of that can whipped cream that's full of air so much so that the cream disappears when your spoon goes in. We had a great cream on gelato experience near the Trevi fountain. If you face the fountain ( as in look direct at the statues not side on) then turn right you will see the gelato shop on the last hand side of the walkway.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roman dessert question & a hotel breakfast question

Most of the whipped cream I've had in Italy is sweetened, although maybe not as sweet as that used in the US.

There is also some awful fake whipped cream used in Italy, made with vegetable fat. I hate it. You'd never get a dessert made with this in a good restaurant, or at least I would hope not.

7. Re: Roman dessert question & a hotel breakfast question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:18