We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train/bus Question

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
679 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Train/bus Question

Hi Guys

What is my best option to get a ticket for Public transport in and around Rome including to and from Airport and what price should I expect to pay for a three day trip for this ticket.I think we've finally decided on a Hotel but it is a little out from city.

I'm sure this question been asked many times so sorry for anything repetitive.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train/bus Question

I just buy the Metro/bus tickets at the tobacconists (E1.50 each). Keep several with me. Each is good for 90 minutes unlimited travel (well one Metro ride). Don't forget to validate if on bus. You cannot get into Metro without the turnstile validating it.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 18:03
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train/bus Question

ATAC tickets are valid for 100 minutes, not 90.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train/bus Question

There is no pass that includes airport travel. If you will be using the metro and buses frequently, there is a three-day pass that covers metro, buses, trams and even suburban trains within the area administered by the City of Rome. See www.atac.roma.it

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
472 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train/bus Question

Is there a tourist ticket that last 3 days, how much is it and where do we go to get one

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train/bus Question

Please read reply #3, just above your post. It is not a tourist ticket: anyone can have one. They are sold at every metro station and from machines at major bus stops.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train/bus Question

The three-day ticket costs €16.50. That would be the equivalent to 11 trips over the course of three days. Since a single-trip ticket is good for 100 minutes, including transfers, I think it's unlikely that most people would get their money's worth from it. Most people end up walking a lot, or use taxis for some of their trips. I usually buy about four tickets (€1.50 apiece) and buy more when I'm running low.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train/bus Question

We usually take the high speed train to the Termini train station and then transfer to the subway system. It may cost a little more but it is quicker than the other alternatives and cheaper than a taxi. Don't forget to validate your ticket when you purchase them. There are little yellow machines on the plaform that will time stamp the ticket. Although I have never seen these people, there are officers that may stroll through the train and want to see your ticket. Don't risk getting fined. We use the public transit system in Rome and depending on how long you will be staying, you can purchase a single ticket for 1.50 eur., a multi-day pass (not sure on cost), and a monthly pass 35.00 eur. The single puchase ticket is for one way travel only, so if you intend to do most of your moving around the city by transit, the multi-day pass is more econmical and less of a hassle. When we go to Italy and staying in Rome, it is usually for a month, so we always buy the monthly pass. It is good for unlimited travel on the subway, bus and trolly cars. The subway itself is quite safe, just follow the standard procedure of using a money belt, holding your purse in front of you and not having an expensive camera hanging off you neck or shoulder. (This could be said for any subway system in the world). It can get crowded, so don't count on getting a seat. The busiest station is Termini because it links both the A and B lines. They are working on a C line but, in Rome, every time you push a shovel into the ground you find ancient artifacts. There is a huge difference in age between the A and B line for this very reason. You will be able to visit most popular sites in Rome by using the subway system and take a bus the rest of the way if you needed to. The transit system is reliable and a great way visit Rome. You could plan out your subway stops and buses at home before you go (less confusion in Rome, less tress)

Have fun

Edited: 27 July 2014, 16:58
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train/bus Question

The ATAC's ticket page is not on line just now; I get a "Page not found" message. (I hope that doesn't mean they're raising the fares!!)

However, there is a one-day pass (BIG) that costs €6, a three-day pass ((BTI) that costs €16.50, and a weekly pass (CIS) that costs (if my memory is correct) €24. The weekly pass is cost-effective if you make more than two trips a day, and may be worthwhile even if you will be in Rome less than a week. The others cost too much, in my opinion, with respect to the cost of a single ticket. Most people think they'll use buses a lot more than they actually do. I used to buy passes when I went to Rome, but I stopped doing so a long time ago, because they never paid off.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
679 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train/bus Question

Hi Guys

Thanks very much for the informative replies,I shall get a three day pass and pay seperately for the Airport journeys.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
202 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train/bus Question

For the one day pass, can you use it for the bus and train?