We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Italy - how many days in each city

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ashburn, VA
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Italy - how many days in each city

We hope to travel to Italy next summer for 2 weeks and would like to visit Rome, Sorrento, Florence and Venice. How many nights should I schedule in each place? We enjoy ancient ruins, and museums and will have our 12 year old daughter with us. We aren't as info renaissance or baroque art but would like to see the major sites.

We would like to visit the Colosseum, forum, Vatican, Pompei or Herculaneum, Capri or Amafi or Positano. My daughter and I would also like to go shopping. Would like some time in Sorrento for swimming/beach etc.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Italy - how many days in each city

Susan, you need to make a list of what you want to see and do in each city before you can determine how many days you'll need. You may find you need a lot of time in one city and only a few days in another. Without a list it's just guessing. Make your list for each city and we can let you know how many days you'll need to complete the each list.

Donna

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Italy - how many days in each city

Regarding your time in Sorrento, if the main goal is to see Pompeii and Vesuvius, then Sorrento makes a good base. If the main goal is to see Amalfi, Positano, Capri and beach time, then staying in a village on the Amalfi Coast makes better sense. You can see Pompeii/Vesuvius on your way to/from the Amalfi Coast.

I agree with dbabe that you need to outline your "must sees" in each city, and your priorities (i.e. is beach time more important than Vesuvius) before anyone can decide how long you need to stay in each city.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Italy - how many days in each city

As mentioned above, it is difficult to suggest a time frame. It depends upon your interests. Purchase a few guide books. Each will give you a different perspective on the same sights. Determine what you would like to see and then come back with specific questions. Happy travels!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,862 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Italy - how many days in each city

I am assuming that you will spend 14 nights on land, I would think something like 4-4-3-3. But, it is a good idea to think through what you want to see and do. A few more days would help.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Italy - how many days in each city

We are not at the end of a 3 week stay only in Rome. And there are still things to see! It has also been very de-stressing to not to have had an exhaustive program for each day.

I understand the need to see "as much as possible" during a holiday, but I based on this experience I would recommend a long stay in Rome (and perhaps only one trip to somewhere else).

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
998 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Italy - how many days in each city

We did that exact trip. I'll list our schedule that might help you with organising yours. We took our now adult kids with us.Living near the beach at home they both wanted beach time and we figured some in

Day 1 Rome (arrived at hotel around 2/3 pm). Walked around the neighbouring area ( we were staying at a hotel around the corner from the Trevi Fountain) including the (waterless sadly but still beautiful) Trevi fountain, had an early dinner and were back at the hotel asleep by 8:30 pm

Day 2 Colosseum and Roman Forum and piazza del Campidoglio. We used a Roma Pass. That evening we walked to and around the Spanish Steps area.

Day 3 Villa Borghese gardens and museum, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Palatine Hill

Day 4 Vatican (pre-purchased tickets), St Peters Basilica (you can pre- organise an underground tour) and Square

Day 5 Train to Naples. National Naples Museum , meander around Naples, private car to Sorrento ( we stored our luggage at the Naples train station for the day.

Day 6 Capri -boat trip, funicular, taxi around island to Ana Capri,just to experience the view from the roads. beach time

Day 7 Pompeii (hotel beach at Sorrento)

Day 8 Amalfi Coast private tour

Day 9 Morning at Sorrento with private transport back to Naples.Train to Rome. Colosseum by night

Day 10 train to Florence -Prebooked afternoon tickets for Gallerie Accademis to see David. Florence wandering,

Day 11 Day trip to Pisa

Day 12 Hop on Hop off bus

Day 13 Train to Venice, found our accommodation, rode vaporetto to Rialto Bridge and walked it , rode a gondola, rode random vaporettos using our Venice transport pass

Day 14 Doge's Palace (Secret itineraries tour can be pre-booked , this isn't the 'do it yourself' wander through' tour that is also included in price), walked San Marco square, visited Basilica and tower

Day 15 Murano and Burano by vaporetto

We then headed off to Germany. I must say we do holidays like this 'full on 'style which may not suit everyone. We figure in holidays of the rest and sit by the pool sipping cocktails through the year so we don't always do whirlwind stuff. I called this our 'Taste of Italy' tour giving us some new ideas of what we will do if we visit again

Edited: 01 August 2014, 11:10
7. Re: Trip to Italy - how many days in each city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 05:16