We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Pompeii by train with 3 young children

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Pompeii by train with 3 young children

Hi all, my husband and I and our 3 young children (4, 6 & 9) will be in Rome in September, we are planning to do a day trip out to Pompeii whilst we are there.

I was just going to get the train tickets at the station when we're there so we could be a bit flexible with times/day etc. On further research though, i am a bit worried that if we get them on the day we might not all be able to sit together...does anyone know if this is likely?

Would we be better to get tickets in advance to guarantee us all sitting close together?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Pompeii by train with 3 young children

I can't imagine taking three such young children to Pompeii at all. The site is huge and difficult to walk around, because of the many ancient paving blocks.In September it's likely to be very hot there, and there's little shade. I've taken a day trip to Pompeii from Rome myself and it was an exhausting day.

Ordering in advance would guarantee adjacent seats as far as Naples, but then you have to change to the Circumvesuviana, a commuter train with no reserved seats, for the rest of the way.

In Rome itself, Ostia Antica, the ancient Roman seaport, has wonderful ruins, and is easy to reach. It's also less hot in the summer, because it's on the sea, and there's a lot more shade. It still might be too much for the younger children, but at least you'll be just a short distance from your hotel, and it will cost you only a metro ticket to get there.

www.ostia-antica.org

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,146 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Pompeii by train with 3 young children

As a day trip with kids your age it's going to be taxing. Only you know your children but I would reiterate Bvlenci's post above. It is a long journey, Pompeii is enormous and has very little shade. There are no benches to sit and rest, just one café on the inside and what appears to be endless crumbling walls (for the uninitiated).

However, if you believe your kids are up to the task then go for it.

I would definitely buy your tickets before leaving home (you are in Australia? I always buy my Rome-Naples tickets from here before leaving). When you get to Napoli Centrale, just follow the blue 'Circumvesuviana' signs to the lower level which will take you to the ticket office for the train to Pompeii. Get enough tickets to cover the inbound and outbound trip as they don't have 'return' tickets as we know them. In other words, you will need 5 tickets for the journey to Pompeii and five for the trip back to Naples.

It costs 11 euro for adults to enter Pompeii but your kids are free - just take passports to verify this and they need to come up to the ticket office with you so their age can be verified by sight as well. I would take a tour which lasts two hours and covers most of Pompeii's interesting sights. It's also recommended to take a tour as the site has very little explanatory signage and you could roam around having no idea about what you're looking at.

The café inside is perfectly adequate for a bite to eat. It has great salads and pizza so your may want to take the kids inside for a breather. It also has excellent coffee and gelato.

Take your time, wear hats, carry water bottles which can be refilled at the various spring water taps around the site and just relax and enjoy. There is nowhere on earth like Pompeii.

Kathy

http://kathyw62.blogspot.com.au/

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Pompeii by train with 3 young children

Thank you both for your advice :)

Feeling very torn now.....on one hand i have wanted to visit Pompeii for as long as i can remember, as soon as we booked this trip i included it on our ever changing itinerary.

On the other hand though, i know my children and i know what they can be like when they are hot, tired and bored. My wonderful Pompeii dream visit could be completely ruined!! It might be a destination saved for another time when they are all a little older.

Will definitely re-think this day trip, thank you Bvlenci for the link to Ostia Antica, it looks very interesting and it may be a little more do-able for our family.

:)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
84 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Pompeii by train with 3 young children

I was in Rome last spring with my 13 year olds and we were not ambitious enough to spend the time going to Pompeii. Instead we went to Ostia Antica, and you might want to consider it as it is much less of a hassle and with kids that can be the difference between a great day and an unhappy one.

Here is a post that I submitted to someone else looking for things to do with kids, it may help you:

St. Clemente Church, very close to the Coliseum. Check the hours bec they close mid-day for lunch. The church itself is quite lovely, but there is a small gift shop inside, you go in there and buy a ticket (just a few euro I think), and then you descend one level into another church built at an earlier time, and then descend another level, into yet another place of worship. There is 1 more level. It really shows how Rome is truly built layer upon layer. My kids loved it. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d1…

The other thing they liked is one of the top rated sites on TA for Rome Le Domus Romaine di Palazzo Valentini. It is a multimedia recreation of how Romans lived in ancient times, using visuals, audio--it is the best museum presentation I have ever seen anywhere. You must reserve ahead (English tour) and make sure you give yourself enough time to find it because it is not obvious--It is right next to Trajan's Column in a tourist section of Rome. Check out the reviews: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d2… This was one of the top places for my kids, a little pricey but well worth it.

Lastly, don't know if you have the time or adventurous spirit to take short (20 min?) train ride to Ostia Antica, the antique seaport of rome. There are tons of ruins, and the kids were able to run around a bit, climb on rocks, and use their imaginations as to how this area was at one time a thriving part of Rome. Not sure what time of year you are going...in August it would be too hot for me, very little shade, and the sun beats down but other times, worth the trip. Easy to find, just a few blocks from the train site (look on website). We got Rick Steves' (www.ricksteves.com) free audio guide and kids listened to it on their iPod so they had some amount of independence as long as they were relatively close by. I thought the site was not well marked, but still enjoyed it, and enjoyed seeing my kids delight in climbing and running...with no one telling them to slow down.. Very affordable. There is a just OK small cafeteria on site, not much else. Very sunny, take hats and water! Look at the reviews: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g673275-d2…

Also, they liked going to Largo Argentina, which is a square in the historic city center of Rome. It is just a little below ground level, with an iron fence all around. It is allegedly the site where Julius Caesar was assassinated...but that was not the attraction for my kids (and for many others). Submerged beyond the fence is grass and ruins...but the real stars are the stray cats who live here, sunning themselves, stretching, strutting, etc. We don't even own a cat and my kinds *loved* watching them. It is free, not too crowded, and delightful to see them frolic about. Largo Argentina is near the Pantheon, and is a major bus hub but it is easy to walk to from the Pantheon.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d2…

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Pompeii by train with 3 young children

Another vote for visiting Ostia Antica instead. A bonus is that you can enjoy a lunch at the beach, which is just a short ride from Ostia, which might be a nice change of pace for the kids after being in Rome for a couple of days.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Pompeii by train with 3 young children

Another vote for Ostia Antica, if the children get tired it's only 30 minutes back to Rome. This link gives you information for getting there and the beach:

tripadvisor.com/…58559774

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Pompeii by train with 3 young children

This past year, Ostia Antica surpassed Pompeii for number of visitors. If you're interested in ancient history, there's far more of it at Ostia Antica, which was a flourishing port for over 800 years. Pompeii had already been destroyed once by a major earthquake, and its final destruction came less than 200 years later. Also, Ostia Antica was a much more cosmopolitan and varied place. Pompeii was mostly residential, a sort of bedroom community for Naples.

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Pompeii by train with 3 young children

Thanks everyone....Ostia Antica is certainly looking like the place to go!!!

Really excited about our trip and hoping that our children love it all as much as we will!

9. Re: Rome to Pompeii by train with 3 young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:16