We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

We've planned to visit the Vatican on Sept. 27 and I just found out it's World Tourism Day. From what I gathered the Vatican is free that day. Can you still buy timed tickets in advance to jump the line? I'm assuming not since the date is blocked off on the Vatican website for admission tickets, but wanted to double check.

Thank you!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

There are no advanced purchases for free days. You must wait in line with everyone else. Also, there are no tours on free days either.

Donna

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
93 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

Wow, I had also planned to tour the Vatican on the 27th and had no idea about this special day, or being free, or no chance to skip the line...THANK YOU for posting about this. Will switch our Colloseum and Vatican days. Truly, thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
93 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

Don't know how to edit, sorry to add another post, but I'm wondering what you think of the Friday night visit option. The 26th of September is one of those night options' would free up some time during the day either Friday or Saturday. Thank you.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

I've never been on a Friday evening, but if I had to go in the summer, that's the only time I would go. It's much less crowded, and the crowds are horrific most of the time in the summer. (I had sworn that I'd never again go in the summer.) I would expect it to be a little cooler also.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

The night time visits are nice. Much less crowded and not as hot. Definitely something to consider if you're there on a Friday night.

Donna

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

Thank you for the tip on the night visit. I just booked an entry ticket for that Friday evening - Sept. 26. My ticket is for the 19:00 (7 p.m.) slot. Does anyone happen to know if they begin letting people in earlier than that? I've tried searching, but only find information for day time tickets (they seem to let people in up to half an hour before the time on your ticket). Thank you!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

No, the Museums close at 6 for the day visits, and they have to get everyone out, and close the rooms that are not open during the night visits, before they begin allowing the evening visitors in.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

Ok thanks! That's what I assumed. We'll plan to arrive a few minutes before 7.

Conshohocken...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

Has anyone gone on one of these free days? I am wondering if it is going to be crazy!

California
Level Contributor
349 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vatican visit on World Tourism Day - Sept. 27

Are you sure there are no tours? We purchased a skip the line tour for September 27 four or five months ago. I have the booking receipt and instructions where to meet that morning.