We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day tour in Rome

Corpus Christi...
1 post
Save Topic
one day tour in Rome

Hi all,

My husband and I only have 2 days in Rome and want to find a "best of" type of tour. We want to see the colosseum, vatican city, and hit some of the major piazzas, fountains, etc. Do you have any recommendations for a tour like this? Most of the tours I am finding are more narrow in scope. They can be group or private tours. Thank you in advance!

TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day tour in Rome

Is the reason you want this tour is that you want to be told the information and don't want to read the guide book yourself? "The best of" Rome is a very long list, not coverable in one day. Personally I can walk around the more well known spots (such as Trevi) in an afternoon, by buying some bus/metro tickets and covering the longer stretches in the 'electrico' bus. In another two hours, I can add the entire Vatican too.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 00:34
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day tour in Rome

I don't know of any tours that will include the Vatican areas as well as Rome. They are usually one or the other because they both take so long to see.

I agree that you're probably better off planning this type of tour yourself and just booking site tours for what you want to see.

]

Donna

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day tour in Rome

Do the Hop on Hop Off Red Bus Tour, that gives you an overview of all Rome has to offer.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,263 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day tour in Rome

>>In another two hours, I can add the entire Vatican too.<<

Not really possible. If you want to see everything in the Vatican Museums, set aside at least 2 days.

NY
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day tour in Rome

Actually, there are tours even for one day that will cover the points OP mentions, for one example see

http://www.romecabs.com/tours/rome-in-a-day/

But note all the details such as entrance fees not included, or guides to Vatican or Col. without engaging a guide in addition and it gets expensive

But as OP did not say had to do in one day, as others suggest do over two days with Vatican one day, Col other day (book in advance) and each day spend other part of day walking around. If you want a guide, You could also book separate walking tours but the official Vatican tour should do the job there

For an example of individual tours, see (this is just one of several companies)

http://www.througheternity.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,852 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: one day tour in Rome

The Hop On, Hop Off buses do NOT let one see quite a bit of Rome's most popular sites - those buses cannot reach the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Campo de'Fiori, much of Trastevere, etc - the streets by those sites/areas are too narrow for these big buses.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one day tour in Rome

Also, there are several different hop-on, hop-off tour companies that have red buses.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one day tour in Rome

Also, the audio program on these HOHO often don't work properly either. I realise the full Vatican takes 2 days, but these people want highlights. Once in, you can breeze through the rooms glancing at the exhibits, into the Sistine Chapel, through the secret door (a la Rick Steeves), over to the lift then stairs to the top of the cupola. Once down a quick trip through the cathedral including the tombs in the crypt. If you are full of energy, I willl say three hours tops.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one day tour in Rome

Considering the considerable effort to get to see the Vatican Museums, I would say to skip it altogether if you just want to breeze through.

There's no secret about the tour group door; Rick Steves wants to take credit for something that's perfectly well known. It's just that it's supposed to be used only by people on group tours. Someone reported that they''re now letting everyone pass through. I've used it myself several times, back when they weren't letting non-tour-group visitors through, but weren't really checking. It does save a lot of time, about a fifteen minute walk back to St. Peter's Square, plus a wait in the security queue.

10. Re: one day tour in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 06:16