We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Peter’s - Evening light conditions for photography?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,045 posts
5,937 reviews
Save Topic
St. Peter’s - Evening light conditions for photography?

During past visits, we have mostly visited St. Peter’s Basilica in the morning or early afternoon and have found the natural light conditions ok for photography. However, based on often cited benefits of reduced entrance queues and crowds, we are considering an evening visit for our next trip.

As such, I’m curious about the lighting conditions (natural or artificial) for photography at this time of day. Unfortunately, I’ve had very little luck finding useful information online to address this question so I’m hopeful that someone here might be able to share their experiences with late afternoon/evening visits in regard to my question about light conditions.

Thanks all in advance

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,055 reviews
from US$77.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$416.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,846 reviews
from US$125.00*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,644 reviews
from US$58.00*
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,559 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Peter’s - Evening light conditions for photography?

The basilica is only open until 7pm during the summer. It's still light outside so there isn't much difference. During the winter (October thru March) the basilica closes earlier, at 6:30. I've never noticed a dramatic difference in lighting.

Donna

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Peter’s - Evening light conditions for photography?

When you have sunset, usually the low sun is filtered through a hazy layer. This can give a golden or rosy glow that makes your photos rather romantic. Haven't ypu seen a few of these pictures in books or the web?

Early morning has much longer shadows, so there is more drama than the middle of the day, when shadows are short.

There are websites which will give you sunrise and sunset for anywhere, on any day you specify. Google sunrise sunset and you should find them

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,559 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Peter’s - Evening light conditions for photography?

I understand the difference in light quality but in the fall it gets dark around 4:30 or so so the basilica will be artificially lit in the evening and in the summer it gets dark around 9 or so and the basilica closes at 7 so it will be natural lighting not much different than the rest of the day.

Donna

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,045 posts
5,937 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Peter’s - Evening light conditions for photography?

Thanks dbabe,

We will be making a winter trip again this time. It is nice to hear that there won't be a dramatic difference in the indoor lighting once the evening lights have been turned on. This is just the sort of information that I've been trying to find. Thanks again.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,559 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Peter’s - Evening light conditions for photography?

The only difference I've ever noticed is that during the afternoon the shafts of light come in through some of the higher windows. Obviously you won't get that in the evening no matter what time of year you go. Have a great trip.

donna

6. Re: St. Peter’s - Evening light conditions for photography?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 06:16