We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Bus Timetables

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Rome Bus Timetables

I apologize in advance for asking for as precise as possible answers to a series of involved questions. I would be sincerely grateful for some specific help (from all of the knowledgeable, experienced, helpful, understanding and kind Rome experts on Trip Advisor).

1. Is there an official timetable online for Rome’s bus route (besides the ATAC calculator “Viaggio Con ATAC website)—an official schedule like that posted on signs at many of the bus stops in Rome? I understand the traffic is congested a lot of the time and it is problematic for Rome’s buses to keep their set schedule but there is a set schedule for each bus route and I would appreciate knowing if it is accessible online.

2. Concerning the ATAC website: (The site is very useful and supplies a great deal of information and perhaps what I want to know is contained within the website and I am just too dumb to figure it out.)

A. I would like to find out the times during the day a bus is scheduled to arrive at a specific bus stop.

B. I would like to know the amount of time it takes a bus to travel between two stops.

From what I can see the ATAC website will calculate a route for you and it will map your route and also map the entire route of each bus, but I am unable to find out the times a bus is scheduled to arrive at any given stop (except for the first/beginning stop of the route) and the travel time between the stops. Example: If you enter two addresses the ATAC website will map the best route and supply the buses you should/could take but it does not appear to list the times the bus will be at your departure stop/address and how long it will take to reach your desired destination. In other words, how do you know when you need to be at a stop to catch the bus and how do you know how long it will take to get where you are going. (Again, I realize traffic makes it impossible to know exactly the coming and going of any particular bus but there must be a set schedule that can be used for general planning.) If the information is obtainable on the ATAC website or some other site online, I would be very grateful to know how to find out the scheduled timetable of the different bus lines. Thank you.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 20:51
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Bus Timetables

I think it would help people to explain what to look for if you give a specific bus line and stop/journey that you are interested in.

I think this may give you most of what you want: http://www.muovi.roma.it/paline/?nav=1

However, I don't understand the point of knowing the theoretical travel time between EACH stop! The routefinder (calcola percorso) will tell you, for instance, that the 75 bus (if this is part of the route it recommends for you) runs every 12 minutes, so whichever stop you were at, at whatever time, that would be roughly how long you would have to wait for the next bus. As buses generally run every few minutes, there is no need to set out for the bus stop aiming to catch a specific "departure" - unlike trains, where you may have 30 minutes or an hour to wait for the next one.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 22:18
2. Re: Rome Bus Timetables

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 00:41
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Bus Timetables

2A/2B) Bus timetables are rather... perfunctory in this city. It all depends on traffic.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 07:40
rome
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Bus Timetables

Go to the home page (atac.roma.it) - in the middle of the page, right under the calcolo il percorso box, there is the trova linea box. If you type in the busline number, it will showyou its route on a map and initially the scheduled start time at the starting station. You can choose any station on its route and see the schedule arrival time at that stop, too.

But, these are really really obsolete. Every 8 minutes turns to a 45 minute wait very often (for some lines). A live schedule is better - get the app "roma bus" it is not perfect, but very often will show you the approaching buses and how many more stops and minutes they've got for any given bus stop.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Bus Timetables

Rome is jsut like other big cities like NY or Chicago. Yes there is a posted schedule, but traffic and the weather can significantly impact travel time on the bus.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Bus Timetables

Thank you "wine-gal."

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
120 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Bus Timetables

Just download 'Roma Bus' off Play Store or 'The App Store' and jobs done!! You will need an internet connection though to use it.

Edited: 30 October 2014, 09:53
8. Re: Rome Bus Timetables

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2015, 06:16