We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Rome trip

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arden, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Help with Rome trip

Hi, I just had a few questions that maybe people could help me with.

Here is our rough plan of what we are doing. Things are still not set in stone:

* Friday, Sept. 12, 2014 -

- My flight lands in Rome at 9:45 AM (we will be flyng over night from NC/USA)

- check into hotel/drop off bags

-do Vatican City (St. Peters Basilica, climb dome, St. Peter's Square)

-do Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel during Night Hours

-I have a request into the Excavations Office for the Vatican Scavi Tour (timeframe I stated 1 PM - Close), my fingers are that we can get tickets

*Saturday, Sept. 13, 2014 -

- Colosseum/Roman Forum/Palatine Hill

- This is the other date I gave the Excavations Office at Vatican for the Vatican Scavi Tour (timeframe I stated open until 11:AM)

- 2:15 PM take Walks of Italy - Crypts, Bones & Catacombs Underground Tour of Rome (It's 3.5 hours)

- Possibly take the Night Underground Colosseum Tour (8 PM)

*Sunday, Sept. 14, 2014 -

- 3:00 PM Lazio Soccer Game at the Stadio Olimpico

* Monday, Sept. 15, 2014-

- 11:20 AM flight home to the USA

Somethings I will try to fit into the trip but haven't planned the day/time yet:

- Pantheon

- Trevi Fountain

- Spanish Steps

-Piazza Navona

- Popolo Square

- Ara Pacis Augustae

- get Gelato:)

- National Museum of Rome or Galleria Borghese or Capitoline Museums

1) How long does it take to get from the airport to somewhere close to the City's center? What is the best way to get to the city's center?

2) If we get tickets to the Vatican Museums/Sistine chapel during the night hours does that mean we cannot enter until the listed time on the ticket which is 7:00 PM?

3) Do people recommend the Underground Colosseum tour during the day or at night. We are leaning towards the night tour, but are not sure.

4) Which museum would people recommend between the three - National Museum of Rome or Galleria Borghese or Capitoline Museums?

5) Recommendations for hotel where a lot of what we want to do would be walkable? I would say for a hotel/loding we don't want to break the bank.

Please feel free to add suggestions or ideas. This whole trip has all come together really quickly. We just finalized that we were going to do this yesterday, so I am scrambling a bit to research and get things booked. I appreciate all of your help. Thank you! Have a great day:)

Amy

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help with Rome trip

Amy, tickets to the Vatican Museums do sell out, although sometimes there are openings available at short notice. I don't think it would be a tragedy if you didn't get to go to the Vatican Museums. They're unpleasantly hot and crowded in the summer, so that most people don't exactly enjoy the experience, but it's something they think they have to do. If possible, I would go on the Friday evening. If not, console yourself by visiting one of the fantastic little-known museums in Rome. You can always visit St.Peter's Basilica, but I suggest going late in the afternoon, around 5 PM, when the lines and crowds fade away. The Basilica closes at 7 PM in the summer.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help with Rome trip

Trailblazer, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip; when you have just a short time, you have to make the most of it. However, I hope you can return soon to see Rome from the slow lane, which, in my opinion, is where the real magic is.

There are a few things I'd like to clarify in your post, so that others aren't misled.

Taxis in Rome are not expensive, at least compared to other cities. Maybe you got ripped off by a dishonest taxi driver.

Termini is the name of a train station (also a metro station) in Rome, not the name of the metro. However, the two lines both go to Termini Station.

Anyone who's going to Rome in the near future shouldn't plan anything around Trevi Fountain, which is undergoing extensive restoration which will last well into 2015. There are dozens of beautiful fountains in Rome, so I suggest you toss your coins in a different fountain. Believe me, it works just as well!

13. Re: Help with Rome trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:35
Arden, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Help with Rome trip

Things are slowly getting set in stone (flight, hotel, and 1 tour), so I feel like I am getting a better idea of how we will spend our time. I just received conformation that we got tickets for the Vatican Scavi Tour. I am shocked we got ticket due to my late request, but I am so excited. We are doing the Vatican Scavi Tour on Saturday at 10:15 AM. Now (1234Alex1234 thank you for the tip about varying game day. I luckily had a friend tell me about it too or I would have just assumed it was on Sunday which wouldn't have been good) I just need the day of the game to be confirmed and then I can book everything else. We are staying at the Albergo del Senato Hotel. If anyone has any restaurant suggestions around our hotel they are greatly appreciated. Trailblazer, you give me hope that we can see a ton of wonderful things:) Thanks again for everyones help! Now I just can't wait until September 10 when I can tell my husband where to pack his bags for. Sadly, I had to tell him the days to request off of work, so he knows we are going somewhere. But he will be floored when he finds out where:)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
451 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help with Rome trip

It was a REALLY tiring day...lol. Some places we visited were way too quick while we spent a bit more time in others. But then, Rome is not meant to be seen in a day - but that's all we had. I look forward to going back.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
451 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help with Rome trip

Yes, taxis are expensive in many cities but to see the amount of sites that we wanted to go to in one day made them a much too pricey option. We never used them so we didn't get ripped off, I had researched them beforehand and back when we went the train was 1 Euro each person for a ride -so that was a bargain. The red and green lines from the Termini pretty much took us everywhere and then we just waked/hiked the rest.

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help with Rome trip

We will be in Rome ,the second week of September. Will the Trevi fountain be in operation by then? Thanks

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Help with Rome trip

If the fountain isn't opera, can we at least see the statues?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,807 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Help with Rome trip

No, the fountain will not be running by then. There is a catwalk you can take to get closer to the fountains but I'm not sure what you'll be able to see when you get there.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Help with Rome trip

Someone reported that not even the catwalk was open when they were there; it may be open only at certain times of the day.

There are dozens of beautiful fountains in Rome. This might be a good time to discover some of the others.