We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

I've been reading all reviews about both these airlines and no review inspires much confidence in any. There's plenty of Alitalia flights every hour; Vueling every 3 hours and RyanAir spread through the day, mainly in the morning then later in the day.

I'm planning on taking carryon luggage though would pay for hold access in case there's too much.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,897 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

Yes, Alitalia has been subcontracting some of its domestic routes to low-cost airlines.

Destinations like Lampedusa are pawned off to a different low-cost airline each toruist season.

But interestingly, Alitalia is flying this year from Palermo to Lampedusa.

Vagabonda

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

If Flying Vueling be prepared for time delays CRoatia Rome 1 30 minutes delay Rome Catania 3 hours delay plus no notifications and only airport representatives that give you very little response or accurate info.

Also flight from Croatia Rome Overhead baggage Compartment at least 4 were held down buy packaging tap which came unstuck during flight with luggage being exposed. Don't think they follow safety standards allowing this to happening both going and return flight . I would need to be desperate to fly them again

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

Didn't mention that staff are Catania Airport staff who were not very understanding with peoples conerns of missing connecting flights. One employee smirked at people that complained causing the situation and tempers to explode to the extent that they had to call police to calm down the situation. Overall a very bad experience, unexperienced staff to hand such a matter and very bad Airport Management . I would avoid Catania airport if you are dependant on a strict timetable. . Its has got worst over the years not better. A real shakeup of procedures required at this airport

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,897 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

There are inconveniences, delays, and cancellations on all airlines.

And although Catanis isn't the most organised airport, Catania isn't overall worse than other airports.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k7419…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,897 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

Catania/Sicily Airport...Whats it like..?:

tripadvisor.com/…60736724

Vagabonda

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

Vagabonda

if you get this message Vagabonda, please get in touch

Veronica

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,897 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

In touch Veronica - send a PM!

Vagabonda

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,339 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

Have not flown Vueling, but have flown Alitalia and Ryanair. Generally agree with gaminari, but note that the time I flew Ryanair (from Palermo) it was because Alitalia had cancelled the flight I had booked on their Italian website, with no reasonable alternative offered for the same day. Alitalia did, however, refund most, though not quite all of my money promptly (but still cost almost twice as much for my Ryanair flight).

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

I've flown Vueling from Naples to Barcelona and Barcelona to Paris. No problems at all. Only 'problem' was the exorbitant price for a coffee and a muffin (13 euro!). Take your own food on board.

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Vueling or Alitalia or Ryanair? Leaving Rome for Catania

Well my dealings with Vueling have been less than positive. We stood in a long line in Romes airport waiting patiently behind over 300 loud customers. They did Not announce the flight closing loud enough for all passengers to hear. Then they proceeded to inform us that the gate is closed and we would have to purchase new tickets. SCAM..... I BELIEVE IT TO BE A SCAM WITH VUELING