We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Budget

Hello, my wife and I were married back in February and we are doing a honeymoon on a budget. We have never been to Europe before but we were able to get some really cheap tickets through work on an agent special (we both work in travel) so it was an opportunity we couldn't pass up. We will be going mid September, so just a little over a month from now.

so we have our tickets, we have our apartment rental figured out, now we are trying to figure everything else out budget wise.

so after air and lodging we will have bout $1300 or E969 for 5.5 days. (we arrive at 5 PM so dinner one night, stay 5 full days, and on the 6th day we leave in the AM).

If i back out round trip for two on the leonardo express at $74 and then back out the two Vatican & Rome Pass for 3 days of sight seeing and buses (including Vatican) at $255, and 3 days of sight seeing and buses with the two Roma passes at $97, that will leave us with about $873 (E650) for budget for the rest.

Lets say we use the Omni & Roma for Vatican, Borghese and Castle St. Angelo or Capitoline Museums(we get Vatican +2)

and for Roma pass we see the Coliseum/Forum/Palentine Hill and Ostia Antiqua

so E650 for 5 days for two people for food, drink, gelato, a few trinkets to take back for family, and smaller sites of interest. Is that unrealistic, tough to do, or should we be OK as long as we dont splurge and make rookie mistakes like eat in front of all the big sites?

I can pull into savings and use more money and will have it available for an emergency, but I just want to make sure my non emergency budget is sound.

Sorry if that is long. Let me know your thoughts, feedback and suggestions.

thanks,

Harry

Edited: 09 August 2014, 21:31
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Budget

thanks, i did the math with the assumption of the sites mentioned in my original post being visited purchased individually instead of through the roma pass and omni vatican et roma. I even included an actual Vatican tour and not just admission so we would get even more value. we would be $83 ahead even with the tour, and that is assuming we would see all of them over 5 days (coliseum, Borghese, Castle St. Angelo, Capitoline Museum, Ostia Antica, and Vatican Tour). even if we stay a distance away from the major sites, we could bus in and back for cheap and still have a vast majority of that 83 left. -Good call on swaying me away form those passes.

My thoughts are see multiple sites over a few days, and that would free up a few full days to just wonder Rome and play it by ear, and on the days we only see one site we would do that in the morning and then have the afternoon and evening totally free.

maybe one day do Ostia is to see the ruins then spend the rest of the day drinking on the beach or at a bar just off the beach and relaxing.

Maybe we could do the Vatican and Castle St. Angelo back to back, or on the same day since we would be up there. Maybe Castle St Angelo in the morning then wonder around the area the rest of the day and do the vatican night tour?

is Hadrian's villa worth checking out as a get away from the city?

Edited: 10 August 2014, 18:10
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Budget

I found Hadrian's Villa very interesting, but I'm very interested in ancient Roman history, especially in the Roman Empire. It's a bit hard to decipher, and even experts are unsure of what some of the buildings were used for.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Budget

Harry, I understand not wanting to be tied to the Roma Pass. But I love it. Mostly because it does allow you to skip the lines at the Colosseum (the Roma Pass line is separated from general entry and I've never had a line longer than 10 people- even in high season). Plus, I stayed on the far end of Trastavere and used the trans pass multiple times a day to take the tram into the center of Rome (the last stop is at Piazza Venezia) and to catch buses from there to other places.

While it is true that Rome is a walking city, you can see a lot more (with a lot less foot fatigue) if you use the extensive and easy-to-use transportation systems in Rome. It is good to have those trans options if you do get over-fatigued or start to feel ill. And with only 5 days, using public transit should allow you to see a lot more in those five days.

That being said, try to 'group' your sightseeing by area. So, day one might be the Forum/Palatine Hill/Colosseum/Capitoline Museums. Day two, Vatican City. Day 3 Borghese, Santa Maria del Popolo, Spanish Steps. This will also save on foot fatigue. :)

It could still be warm in September. To save on your budget, once you've got an empty water bottle, hang on to it. There are dozens and dozens of free water taps all over Rome. You will see others filling up there bottles. The water is fine to drink- no worries.

The other way to save on your budget, since you are renting an apartment, is to ask your rental agent where the nearest grocery store is. Pick up some milk, pasta, cereal and bread. Maybe some meat and cheese. You can eat a good breakfast "at home" and save money there.

I know you'll have a wonderful time. Please remember to "take in" what you are seeing. If you don't get to something, you'll come back one day. There is so much to see in Rome, in can be overwhelming for a 5-day trip. Stop and have a gelato at the Torre Argentina- a beautiful archeological site right in the heart of Rome- the spot where Caesar was assassinated, and now also home to a cat sanctuary. The Ducate Caffe is a good place for affordable lunch and sits right near this site. Free wifi also!

Have a terrific trip!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Budget

I wouldn't make the decision to buy the Roma Pass on being able to bypass the ticket line at the Colosseum. You can bypass it just as easily by buying your ticket online at www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm and if that's the only entry you'd use it for, the Roma Pass would cost considerably more.

When evaluating the transport part of the pass, try to estimate how many times a day you'd make a trip by bus/metro/tram. If it's twice a day over the three days, that's worth €9. If three times a day, that's €13.50. If it's four times a day, that's 16.50 (the cost of a three-day transport pass). Keep in mind that a single ticket is good for 100 minutes and includes transfers. If Sarge took the tram to Piazza Venezia and then transferred to a bus going to the Vatican, that would be done on a single ticket costing €1.50. Or if you take a bus to Piazza Navona, explore it for an hour, and then take another bus to some other place, that's still a single ticket, €1.50.

15. Re: Budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:18