We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Hour Lay-Over in Rome in December; What to Do?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
9 Hour Lay-Over in Rome in December; What to Do?

Between flights, I will have a 9 hour lay-over in Rome this coming December (I should arrive at 6 am and leave just after 3 pm). This will be my first visit to Italy.

What can I plan to do considering it will be winter-time and I will only have about 3 to 4 hours in the city (after deducting the time it takes to get there & back and to go through customs and everything). Visiting the Vatican museum would be lovely, however, I'm not too sure if these few hours would be anywhere near enough time for that (?)

I enjoy sightseeing, history, city life, architecture, good food and would greatly appreciate your help on what some other options would be and how to get to them.

Thanks,

Sam

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
235 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34,309 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Hour Lay-Over in Rome in December; What to Do?

You have plenty of options but be mindful that a taxi to the City Center is 48 Euros. You could book the Colosseum Underground tour so you can see the Colosseum (tour is 90 minutes) and then see a little of the Roman Forum if that interests you for the other 90 minutes to 120 minutes you would have available in the city and perhaps a guided tour there as well.

Mentioned in this post
Roman Forum
Roman Forum
18,329 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Hour Lay-Over in Rome in December; What to Do?

Thanks for the info, do you know if taking public transit would cost much less than taking a cab? I factored 1 hour each way for the commute, will that be enough time?

Google maps says I can take the FL1 train & the 80 bus to get to the Colosseum, is that the best option for public transit? ...and one last question: how early does the tour start (since I arrive early morning).

Thanks again :-)

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Hour Lay-Over in Rome in December; What to Do?

Ostia Antica is a possibility. It is fascinating amd closer than Rome.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Hour Lay-Over in Rome in December; What to Do?

Thanks, I will research Ostia Antica as well. Will cold weather affect my visit? Do you know what the best way of getting there via public transit would be?

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Hour Lay-Over in Rome in December; What to Do?

I don't know about public transportation to Ostia from the airport. Sorry. We came from Termini which wouldn't work for you obviously.You might consider a taxi due to time constraints. Hope someone else can give you more info.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Hour Lay-Over in Rome in December; What to Do?

Get the train from the airport to Termini. It's 30 minutes. Factor in 1 hour for buying tickets, getting to airport train etc. Get to Termini and jump on the underground and go to the Colosseum, it's only a few stops. Walk around the Colosseum and the Forum towards Piazza Venezia. Jump on a bus back to Termini and go back to the airport. Short and sweet.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Hour Lay-Over in Rome in December; What to Do?

Sounds great! Thanks for all the help guys! I am always anxious about missing my flight so I will definitely have to figure all the details out. I have a few more months so that's good!

8. Re: 9 Hour Lay-Over in Rome in December; What to Do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 06:16