We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ostia Antica tour

knoxville tennessee
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ostia Antica tour

I am going to be in Rome with two girlfriends in October and we are interested in a guided tour of Ostia Antica. We'd prefer a private or small group tour and would like to keep cost below 80 euro each. Does anyone have a tour company or guide that they could recommend? Any advice on Ostia appreciated. Thanks in advance!

TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ostia Antica tour

Unlike some places, Ostia.Antica is pretty well marked and very doable on your own. They also have audio guides. Sorry I can't answer your guide question since we explored it on our own.Just wanted you to know that it is one of the better places to see without a guide if you so choose.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ostia Antica tour

Context Tours does small groups, for only 90E a person. I think the maximum group size is six. I haven't used them but have heard good things. I've been to the site doing a self-guided tour and personally think the site would be more enjoyable with a good guide.

contexttravel.com/city/…ostia-antica

Edited: 12 August 2014, 06:00
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,619 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ostia Antica tour

Rick Steves has a free itunes download: https:/…

I used it a couple of years ago and it was quite informative and followed the marked sites.

www.ostia-antica.org has a map and other information.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ostia Antica tour

The day trip I did on my own to ostia was 8ne of my best days in my 5 weeks in italy...its easy to do on your own, and an easy site to walk around. Google ostia antica trip notes and print them off and you have the directions how to get there by train...very easy. I took a packed lunch and snacks for the day and sat in a quiet spot to eat...and im glad I did as the one coffee shop was very crowded and not much selection. There are free toilets at the cafe, near the mini museum, which is a must see alos, included in entry ticket.

I got a day rip for the train ...after walking all over ostiz you could get a train 2 more stops down to the sea and sit and relax...then the cafes will be opening up and you can have a pleasant dinner before you train ride back to rome...I w8uld avoid the weekends to go to ostia...I went on a public holiday after a long cold winter and everone wanted to go down to the beach so the trains from rome were stand up all the way!

Look its a very easy to do your own self tour with the trip notes tell you everything...save your money for something like a tour to hadrians villa and the appatian way...whuch is a lot harder to do without a tour...have fun♡

5. Re: Ostia Antica tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 05:17