We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for12 Hour layover - Rome or just Fiumicino?

calif
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for12 Hour layover - Rome or just Fiumicino?

Hello- Apologies that this is such a quickie visit but this time, it was all i can manage.. So, I engineered a 12 hour layover at end of August en route elsewhere. Arriving at 9am to FCO. I was thinking to take the train in to Rome and spend some time walking or riding, sitting in a piazza and having some amazing pasta. OR I could just stay in Fiumicino on the beach, (which beach), walk around or take a bus to see the town, maybe to Ostia, then have a nice local dinner somewhere before heading back to FCO. (I have great memories of family trattorias making incredible antipasti..)

I welcome and appreciate all suggestions as to the best way to maximize this precious time... maybe even do both... Also I assume there is somewhere i can store my luggage for the day at FCO?

Thanks for all recommendations (and Fiumicino restaurants are also welcome)

Grazie Mille

teri

NY
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for12 Hour layover - Rome or just Fiumicino?

What you like to do is up to you, if weather is good and you are OK with sitting around beach and restaurants then Fiumicino, you will find suggestions and logistics on this forum.

If you want history, then either Rome or both Rome and Ostia, You could taxi to Ostia A. and then train to Rome, or vice versa, Leonardo Express FCO/Termini is a good option.

There is left luggage at FCO

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for12 Hour layover - Rome or just Fiumicino?

Oh yes at that time of day..lock up your bag and go over to ostia antica till after lunch and then get the train into rome, aimlessly wander about and grab a meal when the restaurants open up. Get the coach from outside of termini to take you back to the airport...45 minutes, amd only €4 or 5...fab day♡

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for12 Hour layover - Rome or just Fiumicino?

If the weather is characteristically hot for that time, you might choose to go into Rome first and then to the beach during the hottest part of the day.

4. Re: Advice for12 Hour layover - Rome or just Fiumicino?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:16