We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

I know this probably is a stupid question but here goes.

When we were in Rome ( 6 yrs ago) we went to a Catacomb on a bus on what we thought was the Appian Way. This was a narrow street that cars and buses traveled. . In videos we see an Appian Way where people are walking or on Bicycles . Are these parallel roads or different areas in Rome ? Not sure how we missed the one where everyone was walking.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

On Sundays, the Appia Antica is closed to all vehicles except buses. That's when it's taken over by pedestrians and bicyclists. You probably saw footage filmed on a Sunday.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

Depends on which of the many catacombs you went to. Bus 660 takes you to the part of the Appian Way which is not used by cars. You can walk and bike on it every day. But if you came on the 118, then that's the main road which is closed on Sunday. Both the same road.The 660 takes you out further south than the 118. That's all.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 21:14
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

There are 3 catacombs on the Appian. See google map. red sleeper is St Callistus, blue storm cloud is the St sebastian. Blue Woman is the Domitilla catacomb.

The St Sebastian Catacomb is the only one closed onm Sunday. Via Appia Antican is closed to through traffic on Sundays.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

The ancient Appian way south of the 660 bus stop can be used by cars, but the signage indicates it's for local residents only and part is signed as one way. The further out you go south, the road becomes suitable only for farm vehicles and walkers.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

The part of the Appian Way south of the Tomb of Cecilia Metella has no buses or through traffic.

google amp

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

Thanks all,

I think we must have been on the 118. I know that we attempted to walk the Road between Catacombs and there was traffic and it was "very" narrow. We were apparently trying to find the

"""Bus 660 takes you to the part of the Appian Way which is not used by cars. You can walk and bike on it every day. """" I "think" that's the "Appian Way" that we saw in a Rick Steve's Rome Video where he was biking on a cobble stone/Rock " Appian Way".

I have got to do more reading on this.

Thanks very much for your responses .

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

I have seen that video. You are correct. Now, examining the map, there is a bus route along Via Erode Attico, which becomes Via di Tor Carbone. I saw the bus go by in the distance from north on the Appian Way. It would be so convenient to know what number that bus is. If you could get off there, you could walk north the entire length. As it is, you come on bus 660, walk south 45 minutes, then have to turn around and go back north again.

8. Re: Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 01:36
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

I have walked the AA, but after a few meters, I switched to the gravel paths worn into the grass shoulders by the rest of humanity that can't walk on the cobbles. Sometime since they were first laid, they have been taken up and relaid 'incorrectly' so that the chariot ruts aren't in line as they are in Herculaneum. I can't see cycling on them either.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 01:21
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Appian Way- Road with Auto Traffic & Another Without ?

Here is a map of the 118 and 660 bus lines

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Picture of the Appian Way just outside the St Callistus catacombs

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Those are not chariot ruts. They are wagon ruts. Nobody in Rome was driving a chariot on the Appian way or in Herculaneum. Chariot were only use to parades (triumphs), and in the Circus Maximus (Ben Hur).