We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome with 18 month old

Edinburgh, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Rome with 18 month old

Hi, we are planning a trip to Rome with our 18 month old in early March for 5 nights / 4 days. My husband and I have been to Rome once before but didn't pay attention to anything baby related so I have a few questions.

1. We are planning on renting an apartment so we have a bit more space. Are there any areas to avoid / what would be a good place to stay? We would prefer to be as central as possible.

2. We have a pram but I believe it may be difficult to use on Rome streets - should we just use a sling or would a pram be useful for certain scenarios?

3. Do restaurants often have high chairs and how easy are changing facilities to find?

4. We plan on spending alot of time just wandering around but would like to do a couple of tours - probably the colloseum as we didn't do that last time and maybe just a generic walking tour. Should we go for something that specifically says it is child friendly or will most tours not mind you turning up with a baby?

5. Are there any English speaking companies based in Rome that provide a babysitting service? I'm not sure yet how comfortable I would be using such a service but thought I may as well do some research

Any help with the above and any other advice on travelling with a young child would be much appreciated!

Edinburgh, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome with 18 month old

Bumping in case anyone can offer advice

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome with 18 month old

Hi

Hope this is of help.

Yes take a pram if you want. Most places apart from some sections of the Forum are pram friendly. Theres a lift in colloseum too.

Area- depends on what you want to be near. We have stayed in Monti and near piazza navona. Both lovely areas. Apartments near the pantheon are the most central for most things I think.

Baby changing facilities aren't great. If you take the pram, you can do a quick change on there if needed. We made a lunchtime stop back at the apartment for changes too.

Most places are great for toddlers. Mine loved climbing around the forum, borghese park, colloseum... And all the gelati !

Lastly and importantly, you will be welcomed with kids. We found italian people love to make a fuss of babies and kids. Quite right.

Have a great holiday !

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome with 18 month old

YOu should search the TA forum for previous discussions on this. It has been discussed many times before.

My own opinon is that Rome is NOT pram/stroller friendly. Many of the streets do not have side walks and you have to "share" with the cars.

Picutres

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome with 18 month old

Rome is a big place. Only if you are will to walk 20-40 min to some sites coud it be call totally walkable. But, since yuou have been there before, you shoud know that

Where you stay in Rome depends on both your budget and how convenient you want your lodging placed. Most popular is the area around the Pantheon, Campo Fiori, and Piazza Navona. It is often onsidered the center of modern Rome and everyone likes/wants to stay there because you can walk to a great number of Rome sites. Because of its popularity, lodging here command a premiums to other areas. Same with the Spanish steps. You have to balance your budget restrictions with your convenience factor.

Trastevere, the areas around the Colosseum (Monti, Celio), Barberini area, Vatican are not as central but reasonably charming and convenient. Using Public transport (reasonable good and cheap in Rome), these areas are reasonably convenient. Trastevere is my own favorite area of Rome. Tram 8 runs through Trastevere along Viale Trastevere from Trastevere station (where you can go to from FCO on the FR-1) all the way to Piazza Venezia every 15 min.

At the other end of the spectrum is the area around Termini (including parts of Esquilino).

1.45 miles to Piazza Navona (as the bird flies)

1 mile to the Colosseum

2.5 miles to Vatican city

This area gets a bad rep, but violent crime in Rome is very low by American standards, and I have stayed in this neighborhood overnight and walked around there more than once after dark with no bad effects. Lodging near here is some of the cheapest in central Rome, but you have to take public transport to nearly all the major sites it you don’t feel like walking 1-2 miles to get there. The other down side is that is charmless and modern

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome with 18 month old

Yes, it's not easy- can be very crowded. But....

we have wielded twins in a side by side Mountain Buggy double pram around with no real problems bar an area of the Forum

6. Re: Rome with 18 month old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:17