We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii and Naples Museum

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii and Naples Museum

Is there a tour that takes you from Rome to the Naples Museum and then to Pompeii and back to Rome? What cost? Private vs Group? Cost?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii and Naples Museum

There are tours but you can save lots of money by doing it yourself. Take a high speed train to Naples, connect with the local service to Pompeii which goes literally to Pompeii's front door. Take the same service back to Naples and then connect with the Metro to the Museo or Cavour stop. The Naples Archaeological Museum is right at the metro stop. Note - the museum is closed Tuesdays.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii and Naples Museum

dmaschek, most of the people who post here are just independent-enough travelers that they are more likely to have done this on their own. That's because this happens to be case of something that is exceptionally easy to do on your own - but I'm not trying to persuade you. You have to decide how comfortable you are with independent travel. The real issue is that this is a relatively "long" day-out from Rome. More people visit Pompeii from Naples or Sorrento, or even Positano, which is much harder.

Please use the search box above your original post to learn more about the trip you'd like to take. Or look elsewhere for the names of Rome-based tour providers! Good luck.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii and Naples Museum

Thank you! It may not be a doable deal with all we have planned and the limited time! I Was hoping we could make it in a long day and get back to Rome late. I have no concept how long it takes to go from Rome to Naples, then how many hours to Pompeii.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,529 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii and Naples Museum

Read this on a day trip to Pompeii

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187786-i1888-k714…

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii and Naples Museum

You can certainly visit Pompeii and the museum as a day trip from Rome, I've done it numerous times. You just need to leave early and come back late.

Donna

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompeii and Naples Museum

The link you gave, had some of the most comprehensive info I have seen! It will help in deciding if we do or don't! I really didn't want to have the hassle of train or bus arrangements, but may reconsider! I have been to Italy before, but all our adventures were north and not South! I know from what I read and seen on TV Naples can be intense, but to get the most out of Pompeii, seeing the museum in Naples is a large plus!

Thank you very much!

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompeii and Naples Museum

I don't mind a long day and it is on my bucket list! You went via train or bus? Any problems?

8. Re: Pompeii and Naples Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:17